Unfiltered Tank For Cherrys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

yep, should be fine.

keep up with water changes, though. :good:

TBH I would say no, if the waters good, then they will breed, and within a month or two the tank will have way too much bioload and the shrimp (which are very sensitive to ammonia) will die.

If you were ONLY having cherry shrimp, a tiny little air powered sponge filter or £9.99 internal would be fine as long as you remove enough shrimp so it doesnt get overstocked.

The only way I would go unfiltered was if It was going to be a proper little planted ecosytem with decent lighting, but that would take a while to set up anyway, why not just get a cheap filter?

TBH I would say no, if the waters good, then they will breed, and within a month or two the tank will have way too much bioload and the shrimp (which are very sensitive to ammonia) will die.

If you were ONLY having cherry shrimp, a tiny little air powered sponge filter or £9.99 internal would be fine as long as you remove enough shrimp so it doesnt get overstocked.

The only way I would go unfiltered was if It was going to be a proper little planted ecosytem with decent lighting, but that would take a while to set up anyway, why not just get a cheap filter?
Agreed, being very sensitive to nitrates and ammonia I'd atleast have a small sponge filter.

cheers for the replys
i've got 10 coming tommrrow and have just got my hands on a 10g tank.

so it will be ok till they breed to much, i all ready have some in my community with some cherrys in there but i never see them.

Just get females then? lol
How? Unless you work in an lfs that actually gets cherry shrimp in and you know about cherry shrimp, that's not at all easy.

cheers for the replys
i've got 10 coming tommrrow and have just got my hands on a 10g tank.

so it will be ok till they breed to much, I all ready have some in my community with some cherrys in there but i never see them.
Unless it is properly planted with nicely growing plants, you will most likely have problems.
If this is a new tank, without a cycled filter and no biofilm because the tank isn't mature, the shrimp will be dependant on you feeding them, you are going to be doing lot's of water changes...like 20% daily to keep on top of the food, even though it's just ten hardy cherries - shrimp are sensative. You already have a cimmunity tank, just get a cheap filter and put a bit of media from there, that will solve all your problems :good:.

How? Unless you work in an lfs that actually gets cherry shrimp in and you know about cherry shrimp, that's not at all easy.

it really is that easy lol. I know that my MA only ever has female cherries, they say the males dont sell as well.

All the lfs' I've been to have males too, MA probably have quite a few males in the batches, and what if you get a female with eggs? ;)

All the lfs' I've been to have males too, MA probably have quite a few males in the batches, and what if you get a female with eggs? ;)

Just ask for ones without eggs? its really not that hard... lol

If you densely plant the tank I highly doubt you will have problems. or you could be lazy and add a bunch of prime to the tank. or you could do both

Keep in mind these things need oxygen... aka surface agitation. ;)

Just ask for ones without eggs? its really not that hard... lol
Ah ha, but most lfs staff wouldn't know if they had eggs or not, and often nearly all of them do have eggs! :fun: Hope for patient lfs staff too.

Keep in mind these things need oxygen... aka surface agitation. ;)

Tell that to the ones multiplying in my outdoor unfiltered tub :shifty:

To the OP yes you could get away without a filter but it would need to be very heavily planted and the plants would need to be actively growing to produce oxygen. For this you would need good lighting and you would need to keep a close eye on your water quality and do very frequent partial water changes. Far more hassle than to have a small cheap filter IMO.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back