Unexplained Flashing

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

spesh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Bit of background first.

The tank is relativly new (3 months) and was started with mature filter media and has been gradually stocked over the period of 3 months.  All stock in the tank is quite small/young aside from a pair of rams that are at a 'average' size that I'd expect.  This tank is my first after a 3+ year (forced) break from aquarium keeping.

Tank is 200Litres with an external filter that is advertised for 300Litres suitability.

Stock.

Pair of Rams
6 Keyhole Cichlid
6 Yellow Labs
2 BN's
8 Neons

Water Stats

KH 71.6
GH 125.3
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-5
PH 7
Temp 25.2c

As it was a new house with an old lead supply pipe I obtained a heavy metal water test kit that came back clear before proceeding (although my koi/goldfish 6000L pond has not had issues) and have since retested and again clear.

I consider my tank hygeine good.  Specific equipment for the tank only thats washed out with tank water before my weekly 20%ish water changes.

My Nitrates are pegged quite low due, in part, to the fact that I am running purigen in the filter as I've a piece of mopani in the tank that is still leeching tanins after an age of soaking/boiling/scrubbing.  For those that dont know purigen absorbs 'free' organic matter in the water and is amazing at removing tanins as a result.

When I introduced the rams I had an outbreak of Ich which was dealt with around 6 weeks ago with protazin.  I have not seen any reoccurance and I do not think that ich is my problem as I would have expected it to have re-emerged by now as 6 weeks is time enough for many cycles at 25c.

The problem I have is that the Rams especially, and to a lesser degree 2 or 3 of the keyholes are flashing off the fine gravel and wood in the tank and for the life of me I cannot work out why.  I appreciate that random flashing occurs but the affected fish seem to go through bouts of flashing where they will flash a significant amount over a 10-15minute period then stop.  A few hours later the problem will re occur only to stop again.

Visually the fish are ok as far as I can see, the keyholes are nice enough to stay still for a good look at them and I can see nothing.

Now its entirely possible I am being paranoid but I am concerned at the level of flashing.

Does anyone have any advice for a returning hobbyist?

Many thanks

Mark

Cichlids sometimes flash because they are reaching sexual maturity and it's their way of flirting.  Flashing is also a way of marking their territory so possibly rearranging the tank could stop the behavior(?).

Bit of a late update but both the rams died :(  Well one died and the other was so poorly I had to euthanaise it

I have also lost a yellow lab about a week ago and I now have 2 of the labs flashing quite heavily.

I ran through another treatment of protazin not long after making the first post and have also added a little aquarium salt (cant remember the amount but it was recommended by someone I trust in my LFS)

Oh, all of my Neon's have dissapeared.  I'm more putting this down to the yellow labs rather than sickness as there was no trace of them to be found.  Could be wrong though.

I'm tearing my hair out as my return to fishkeeping is slipping towards disaster.

Any help would be appreciated.

ps - water stats are still good as above.

No further fish loss as yet but 2 labs still actively and frequently flashing heavily.

Cannot see anything untowards with the fish :/

Help!

Do any fish show these signs.
Darting around the tank, or erratic swimming?
Swimming in a jerky  movement?
Excess slime on gills, fins, or body?
Any tiny red pin prick marks on body, fins?
Do the gills look like there red and inflamed, pale with excess slime, or look like there bleeding.
Do the fish look opaque with excess slime?
Any tiny white spots, or yellow spots.
Do the fish have any signs of a blue film, or grey film on there bodies?
Any signs of a gold dusting, or rusty coloured varnish on fish body?
Any signs of laboured breathing, or gasping at surface of tank?
Have any fish lost weight, or have sunken in bellies?
Been using any chemicals near the tank?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to understand what's going on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back