Uneven Tank Stand

Louiseness

Fish Addict
Joined
May 16, 2011
Messages
722
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Leicester
Hi guys and girls,

I'd appreciate any suggestions regarding my tank stands and whether or not they need some extra support.

I have two 50L and a 100L all-glass tanks. They're on those basic, black metal frame stands - the support for the bottom of the tanks is only around the edges, there's no base or shelf or anything supporting the middle of the bottom glass panel.

I noticed today that the frame doesn't seem to be even all the way round - almost like it's bowed. See my wonderfully detailed and beautiful (hah! :D) illustration:

fishtankdrawing.jpg



The frame is definitely touching the glass on all four corners (where the red arrows are) but there seems to be a gap between frame and tank in the middle (green arrows).

My other half says that we need to put some polystyrene pads of some sort underneath to even the load, but I've read that unnecessary polystyrene can actually cause breakages.

Opinions please?
 
In theory, as it is now, it should be fine.. my 60 litre arc tank is suspended on only the four corners, with a plastic frame.
 
Agree, its considered uneccessary to put anything under a tank that has the support band around the bottom. These are considered more than capable of holding the tank steady.

I have a 16 Gal thats the same. It doesnt sit wonky, but i wonder how the centre of the bottom doesnt bow with the water weight/pressure plus about 18kg of sand, then the filter, heater etc.

I would say that if it has the band around the bottom, no need. But wait for others to comment, i could be wrong!

Nice drawing by the way. Microsoft Paint by any chance? lol
 
Nice drawing by the way. Microsoft Paint by any chance? lol

Photoshop actually, as I'm sure you can tell by my lovely use of different brushes :D

I'm not so much worried about the middle of the bottom panel of glass, but more that the 'rim' of the stand isn't in contact round the whole perimeter of the tank, more just the corners. Seems like it might put quite a lot of weight on four small areas of the tanks?
 

Exactly what I was thinking :/ They're not bowed HUGELY but there's a definite gap. It's the same with both tanks, so I wasn't sure whether it was a problem or not. What would you suggest to sort it out? (short of a new stand!)
 
put lots of liquid nail on the bend part of the stand and put a plywood top of it..
when liquid nail drys.. it would be solid like stone. it wont let the plywood bend.

good luck.

nice tank,dunno about the music lol :good:


it's supposed to be a relaxing music ( in sri lanka)... :unsure:
 
put lots of liquid nail on the bend part of the stand and put a plywood top of it..
when liquid nail drys.. it would be solid like stone. it wont let the plywood bend.

good luck.

LIke a band of plywood around the edges? On top or underneath? Or a sheet of plywood covering the whole stand? Sorry, rubbish at DIY, just trying to get a clearer picture.
 
i would go for full top..

and i would add some to the sides and apply wood stain . ( dark teak :drool: )

i will cost less then £20. :good:
 
i would go for full top..

and i would add some to the sides and apply wood stain . ( dark teak :drool: )

i will cost less then £20. :good:

haha, I'd have to sweet talk the boyfriend a bit if I expect him to do full on cabinet making :D But a plywood top sounds like a sensible idea, seems like It'll sort of 'brace' the metal rims a bit :good:

Anyone else think that sounds like a good plan? (or not?)
 
i made a simple stand, welding metal together into a simple bog standard metal table frame, then sticking a sheet of mdf over the top, flush with the edges so looking directly down on the stand you cant see any metal. i intended to put doors on the front and stuff to keep the filter noise to a minimum, as the tank is in my room. but its more practical for me to have no doors, and also my light timers make more noise than my filters, so putting the filter in a cabinet would be pretty pointless.
 
I mostly build DIY stands so do not run into your problem. Any stand with a solid edge around the base of a tank, the kind with a plastic frame around the bottom, will give good support. If you choose to go with the plywood approach, make sure that you do not leave any rough or uneven points on the plywood surface. A very small bubble somewhere in the middle of that bottom can definitely cause the bottom glass to break. I have used plywood sheets to mount some of my smaller tanks on things like filing cabinets with good results. Gravity is your friend when it comes to a fish tank stand. You do not need any adhesive to hold that plywood in place once you have a hundred Kg of water holding it in place.
 
fishta12.jpg


if you got bit more time in your hand.... ( i do today)


:fun:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top