Understanding Sumps Pinned Article

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrisbassist

Fish Addict
Reaction score
the understanding sumps article goes to great lengths to explain how water can get out of your tank into a sump, but then almost stops.

there is little about the actual sump, do you put it in sections to make sure water flows through everything properly? i've seen about stepped designs to help oxigenate the water... and other stuff, but the article doesn't say anything about the sump itself (or very little) just that you can put things in there.

then, if you're explaining how water gets out of the tank, how does it get back in the tank after?

I'm sure some of this is pretty basic, and self explanatory, (like, use a water pump) but I'm interested in what makes a sump work, not how to get water in it.

also, it states that a sump is underneath. if you were to build a sump tank as a section of the main tank, at the back with a cutout so water overflows into the back section, would this not be a sump? being at the same level means the article would say no...

could anyone write some more on the pinned article? detailing the next parts of the sump.

anyone?

more info on sumps?

I don't mean to be rude, and what is in the article is really good, and very detailed (and must have taken a long time to do)... it just stops where the real info should be...

once water is in your sump, do you have diferent compartments for different tpes of media?

in should water overflow from one section to another or could you go with the water going over a barrier from one section into the next, then under the next barrier etc? or are they both ok? what kinds of media do you use in a sump? and i'm assuming that how fast you pump water back into the tank will define your flowrate for the filter... or is flow rate not important when you're talking about sumps?

Sumps can be as easy or as complicated as you like I can explain roughly how mine works but there are diffrent ways.

I have 3 chambers each with a bubble trap section so bubbles do not get passed from section to section

Chamber 1 houses my Skimmer and Phosphate reactor also the in out out for my CA reactor.

Chamber 2 is about 12" deep in here I have a 7" Deep Sand Bed this removes Nitrates from the water by using Anarobic Bacteria but simply it is what its called a section with deep sand (needs to be quite fine sand) on top of my DSB is my Chaeto this removes any addtional phosphates from my water once a month I cut it in half and throw half away.

Chamber 3 simply has my return pump in it I also keep a bag of purigen in here as well not really needed but it was laying around :)

I will also PM you a link to a guy that is very good with sumps designed mine from his ideas.

thank you,

and although this will probably be enough for me, I don't see why we should be sending people off site for this info... maybe someone could write up about the next part and the author of the pinned article could edit his post to add it in? would make sense to have all the info here on this site to me...

:good:

The article was a 'work in progress' that was pinned and kept invisible by SkiFletch. Upon returning, I tidied it up and made it visible on his behalf. I believe it was meant to be a multiple part post.

If anyone thinks they can do a good job and complete the pin, I would be happy to incorporate it into Ski's 'posthumous' work.

SH

excellent!

I believe I've found a great site here, but it's really not good if people feel the need to direct me to a different site for the information I want/need. but this site does seem to have a very good resource of different info (better than any other sites). plus this site seems to have quite a few "geeks" like myself (although i've only recently applied anything to fish...) and I mean that in a really nice way...

I'm currently running a freshwater set-up, and will be learning from that, and the eventual aim is to go marine and keep bamboo sharks, but i'm a long way off (in knowledge, experience, money, and space for the tank) so i'm trying to pick-up ALL the info i'll eventually need to do that...

I don't think I'd be a good one to write more, since I'mjust learning about it... but it'd be great if we can improve on the info provided on this site.

Any Takers?

OK, so i haven't been able to write any extra for the article (don't know enough yet)

but have got these suggestions for it:

at the end, there is a list of possible things you can add to a sump, could these things be made into links which take you to a page about that piece of equipment?

like these,

extra4.gif
Protein Skimmer -> link to http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=304549 or a dedicated article if someone has time to make it
extra4.gif
Refugium -> can't find article to link to
extra4.gif
Heater(s) -> maybe this one won't need explaining but you could anyway...
extra4.gif
Phosphate Reactor -> maybe all the reactors could be in one article? explaining about reactors and that there are different types for different things...
extra4.gif
Calcium Reactor -> as above
extra4.gif
Carbon Reactor -> as above
extra4.gif
Kalkwasser Reactor -> as above
extra4.gif
UV Sterilizer -> again, can't find a suitable article..... but it might be there
extra4.gif
Chemical Filters -> again, just a small article on chemical filtering, doesn't need to be long, but a brief explanation and a list of things you can add and what they do would be good
extra4.gif
Canister Filters -> I don't get this one, does it mean you could put a normal filter in there???
extra4.gif
Benthic Zones -> again, haven't got a clue what this is...

[font="arial][size="3"]
[/size][/font]
[font="arial][size="3"]I'd happily make some of these since they are a slightly smaller and easier to understand subject so I can do the research for these... I'll update later with any other suggestions[/size][/font]

This is meant as a basic guide for equipment used in marine tanks. While there is more to learn on everything, hopefully this covers the basics. If you want more info on what you want, open a thread and ask! Not all of the equipment here will be required, but if you are considering buying anything, why not ask a few questions? Find out what makes people like, and why. Either way, it's good to know what the equipment does before you invest a significant amount of money on it! So here I present a basic guide to marine equipment​

Filtration Equipment:

Protein Skimmers
What Is A Protein Skimmer?
A protein skimmer is a device used to remove organic waste (such as protein...) from the water before it has a chance to decompose. This means that the waste will not add any more nitrogen to the water, which lightens the load on the filtration system.

What Does It Look Like?
skimmer.jpg

How Does It Work?
They work by passing the water through a column of bubbles. The proteins will cling to the sides of the bubbles and collect in a cup at the top, allowing you to remove them.

More Info?
Hardware Of The Month Thread

Refugiums
What Is A Refugium?
A refugium is often the heart of a sump, the large section where you put in live rock, a deep sand bed, and grow microalgae or other basic life

What Does It Look Like?
refugium.jpg

How Does It Work?
Much like FW filters, the liverock, and sand will act as media, a place where the bacteria required in the nitrogen cycle can grow. But with added benefits. A deep sand bed, and live rock, will have areas where oxygen cannot reach, where another bacteria will go through a denitrifying process (get rid of the nitrogen instead of just make another form)

Heaters
What Is A Heater?
A heater is a device used to heat the water...

What Does It Look Like?
Looks can vary greatly from one type of heater to another. But there are 3 Main types. Firstly you have the standard "glass tube" style heaters, which aren't always glass tubes, you also get them covered in black plastic or anything. Secondly, you have "In-Line" heaters, which are put in the pipework to heater water as it flows through. Lastly, you get undergravel/sand heaters. These are a lot like underfloor heating in a house with a long wire which is shaped to cover the floor of the aquarium and then buried in sand/gravel.
heater.jpg

How Does It Work?
Usually passing a current of electricity through a wire with high resistance, causing heat, Usually with a thermostat which reads the waters temperature and switches the heater off when temperature gets too high and back on when temp gets too low.

Reactors
What Is A Reactor?
A reactor is a device which either add beneficial minerals (in the case of calcium and kalkwasser) or remove potentially harmful ones (like phosphate). There are different devices aimed at each of these but they are similar in function so I have put them all together.

What Does It Look Like?
reactor.gif

How Does It Work?
They usually work by placing a form of "media" into the device. With calcium and kalkwasser reactors, as water flows through, it will take some of the "media" with it, in the form of calcium, or limewater. levels difficult or impossible to achieve by hand dosing the tank.
In a phosphate reactor, the process is much closer to using carbon in a FW tank. As water flows through the "media", some magic happens involving ions and evil witches, removing phosphates.
In either case, regular maintenance is required to replace used media.

More Info?

UV Sterilizers
What Is A UV Sterilizer??
A UV Sterilizer is an ultraviolet light housed in a tube. Used to kill SOME micro organisms, and water borne algae.

What Does It Look Like?
uv.jpg

How Does It Work?
Couldn't be simpler, water is pump through the tube, and exposed to UV light, which kills off the bad stuff.

Canister Filter
What Is A Canister Filter??
A canister filter is the same as a regular external filter in a FW tank. Usually a small container with media in, as a place for bacteria to grow, it also incorporates a pump to get water flowing through.

What Does It Look Like?
filter.gif

How Does It Work?
Put simply, water is drawn in through a hose, through different compartments which hold different types of media, then the water goes through the pump, through a hose and back into the tank/sump. If you already use a sump, chances are you won't need the filter for its regular use, but it may still be useful as a place for chemical filtration, maybe filling it with carbon to clear meds, and then you only need to turn it on when something needs clearing.

Benthic Zones
What Is A Benthic Zone?
A benthic zone is the lowest part of a body of water. In simple terms, that means the substrate of your tank is a benthic zone, the bottom of the sump is a benthic zone. There are creatures which are only found in this area, often clinging to the bottom.

Water Preparation Equipment:

Reverse Osmosis Unit
What Is An RO Unit??
An RO Unit is a filter you can use to remove most of the impurities in your water supply.

What Does It Look Like?
ro.jpg

How Does It Work?
It works by passing the water through a "membrane" or layer which allows water to flow through, but is too dense for anything mixed with the water (as an example, the process is used to remove salt from sea water, we are removing other solutesin much the same way).

De-Ionizer
What Is A De-Ionizer??
A De-Ionizer is similar to an RO Unit in its function. It is used to remove some of the impurities from the water.

What Does It Look Like?
very similar to the RO unit shown above

How Does It Work?
A De-Ionizer works by running an electrical current through the water and a special resin. Allowing ions to move from the water, to the resin, which is then wasted. As a side note, many aquarium systems are available which combine Reverse Osmosis and De-Ionization.

Testing Equipment:

Thermometers
What Is A Thermometer??
A thermometer is a small tool used to measure the temperature of the water

What Does It Look Like?
there are a few variations. one looks like a black sticker which sticks on the outside of the tank, one will be a little tube with markings down the side, with (usually) a red liquid inside, then you have digital ones with a small screen for the temp reading
thermo1.jpg
thermo2.jpg

How Does It Work?
the stick on ones, have a number of sections filled with a liquid which changes colour at different temps. the tubes are filled with a liquid which expands to fill more of the tube at higher temps.

Chemical Test Kits
What Is A Chemical Test Kit??
A chemical test kit is just that, a number of chemicals which are added to a water sample, turning it a different colour, used to determine how much of something you have in your tank. Common chemical tests are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH, but there are also tests for many other things which can be found in tanks, as well as a number of pH tests which are more accurate within a specific range.

What Does It Look Like?
test.jpg

How Does It Work?
The chemical process is different for every test, but most are used the same. You take a sample of your tank water in a test tube, usually 5ml or 10ml. You add the test liquids as instructed (there is usually more than one for each test, to be added in order with a quick shake between) and wait the time (as stated by the test manufacturer, normally printed on the box, or instructions) and the water will change colour. you then compare this colour to a chart, and it will tell you how much of the chemical you are testing for is in the tank.

Hydrometer
What Is A Hydromter??
A hydrometer is a tool used to measure the specific gravity (the difference in density between what is being tested and the density of water).

What Does It Look Like?
hydro.jpg

How Does It Work?
the device itself is a cylinder with a weight at one end. the weight makes it float upright. when you lower it gently into water, there will be a point where it will float. The water level will mark the point where the cyclinder shows your specific gravity. They actually work on the principal of displacement, with the lower the density of the water, the more it will sink.

Other Equipment:

Powerheads
What Is A Powerhead??
A powerhead is a small submersible water pump

What Does It Look Like?
powerhead.jpg

How Does It Work?
a small motor (powered by electricity) is used to pump water through the unit, and out the other side. The current created is usually quite narrow.

More Info?

Hopefully this has been some use helping you understand the basics of equipment. now that you know what they do, you can be more informed when discussing them in the forum.​

Thank you for you input, it is much appreciated - some of the above are mentioned in the Hardware of the week/month threads but we need to organise them and some of the info you require is not there, again it is something we are aware of and would love to change - we just need a few members who would be willing to put the work in :good:

We currently help posters by answering their questions, which works well and ensures there is traffic in all the forums but it would be nice if we could have basic info in a Resource Centre for each section :good:

SH is currently looking into this

Keep up the good work

Seffie x

Thanks.

My idea was that a brief explanation of the things in a sump and the explaining how they are arranged (or could be arranged) would really be all you need in the next section of the sumps thread.

I was thinking about when it's done add in a few lines about asking other members about their setups etc. Try and give the basics but also spark some conversation on it.

Do you think that's detailed enough? I don't want to go too detailed because it may remove the need for conversation, but would also like to put up something to help people like me just coming into the world of salt.

Also, any comments to improve what I've written would be good. Understandably I'm researching these as I write it so may get info wrong or something.

Also, SH, once I finish, and I've been through and checked spelling and grammar etc, what are the chances of getting it added to the sumps pin?

I'll add links where I can find them. And I'll look harder for info on the remaining ones.

Does canister filter mean like a standard external filter put into the sump?

And chemical, would that just be a place to put a bag of carbon (or other chemical media)?

Still really stuck on benthic zones...

Most reactions

Back