ummm...

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

J-Money

Fishaholic
Reaction score
The LR I bought got shipped 2 day air. But it got sent out yesterday and according to the Fedex tracking it's already on the truck for delivery...My tank is only about 1/3rd full, if i'm lucky :X , since it's supposed to be packaged for 2 day delivery do I need to try to rush filling the tank and salting and everything?

why woulld you do that? you want the hitchkikers!

I'd call whomever you ordered from, tell them you are refusing delivery because it is early.

there's no problem with me being home to accept the shipment (i'm currently looking for a job :*) ) but I just don't know how long it'll take to fill up my tank. As soon as my tank fills up i'm going to dump the 60 cups of salt in there and my pH adjuster. How long do I have to wait after I do that before I put the rock in?

lol, the R/O ish is so slow I haven't even been able to thouroghly wash even just 1 bag of sand yet so it looks like the sand will be last :dunno:

DO NOT let that rock dry out :eek: :crazy: If you have to get the tank half filled with salt water then do that.. the rock is simply too precious to allow to die off.

I agree, dont hypersalinate the rock, you want as muchj life on that rock as you can possibly get.

Hope it all works out for you. If i were you i would give the company you got the rock from and give them a peice of your mind. they should have sent when you requested as its very delicate stuff. :*)

I don't think the company had anything to do with it getting here fast. I only paid for the 2day air, I doubt they'd pay the additional $0.30/lb shipping for the 120lbs of rock. But if they did, i would expect them to say something in my confimation i got the day it was sent (yesterday). I think that either fedex just threw it in with a bunch of overnight ish and it got here early, or since it just got shipped from california to arizona it only took a 2 hour or so flight and no point in just keeping it in the back till it's supposed to be delivered.

I only have the tank 1/3rd of the way full right now. It's just freshwater without the salt and pH. can guess how much water is in there because i know it's about 120g and is about 1/3rd full, so should I just dump what I think I need of the pH and salt in there and put the rock in now then :dunno:

remember that the rock will displace alot of the water so a 1/3 full tank might even become half full with rock in there. Add the salt mix to the tank now. make sure its added corerctly (as if the tank were full) and aim for an SG between 1.022 and 1.025. PH should fall i nto place with the buffers in the salt.

I would then add the rest of the water to the tank via large buckets if you have any?

yeah, i just bought a big ol' rubbermaid rolling 45g container that i can use...I didn't realize the salt would set the pH for me, guess I bought this pH ish for nothin :*)

Oh yeah, and Navarre, I can't set the SG yet, I haven't calibrated my hydrometer yet (I was planning on letting it sit for the 24 hours starting today so it would be ready for the rocks and stuff tomorrow :/ )

Someone in another forum suggested I take some (most? lol) of the water already in the tank and put it in the rubbermaid container and put the rocks in there for a few days or so. Then I can fill up the tank and set everything right. He also said the original die-off will make the water much worse and why put it in my tank....
Thoughts? :dunno:

i'm just going to put the salt in the tank now....I figure there to be about 46.5gallons or so of water in there. Oceanic says to put .5cups of salt per gallon. anyone know what SG that should give me? meaning should I err on the side of caution and put a little less, or a little more?

Well,i just put wut oceanic said to put in, and now the LR is all in there. The water is pretty dirty now. Hopefully my R/O system will kick it into gear soon so i can fill up my tank enough to turn on the filters :drool:

i use coralife salt and i think it says to add 4 cups for 10 US gallons. i'm not sure what kind of sg it gives because i constantly adjust it as i go. one thing is for sure, its better to add less than more. you can alway up the ammount of salt as you go, but if you put too much you have to take water out, and that can be a pain. if i were you, i would make the saltwater in a huge tub ( use a 45 gallon rubbermaid), get the sg the way you want it, then put it in the tank via bucket or pump (if you use a bucket, pour it in slowly). that way it's less of a hassle IME. oh yeah, i keep my sg at 1.022-1.021. i like it low because ich loves salty water but this obviously optional.

AS long a you are in the 1.020-1.025 range, all will be well.

Setting it all in a separate bucket with a heater and a powerhead was actually a good idea. It will be a real pain to deal with cloudy water from the substrate and trying to see to get your rocks set the way you want them.

If you have any die off from the rock, don' worry about negative effects to your water quality. It will just help your cycle along.

See, if the rock arrives in perfect condition, you don't have to worry about ill effects, yet if there was indeed some die off as there usually is, you will want to have it in the tank to help the cycle.

Hope that makes sense, I am a little disjointed tonite! :lol:

GL

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back