Ultra Low Tech Tank For A Betta In Progress!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

attibones

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Soon I'm going to be able to get my ten gallon situated again. I really want another betta. Petco had a giant king betta (like bigger than usual) with some excellent finnage. I want him, but I don't think he'll still be in the shop by the time I get this sorted. 

I only plan on running a heater and lights. I want to plant it well enough that I don't need to run a filter because the only filters I have right now (I left half my fish stuff at my friend's house a few hours away because it would not fit in my car during my move and I haven't had the time/money to drive back up to collect my fish stuff) are way too big for a ten gallon. They run at about 250 gallons per hour, which I wouldn't mind using in a ten gallon depending on the stock, but for just one betta it wouldn't work. Plus they are too bulky for this size, I think. 

Anyway, so I want to do plenty of plants, some driftwood, floating plants, sand substrate. I need to get a new hood for the tank before I stock with any friends. 

This tank will be going upstairs in my bedroom which conveniently has a sink in it (apparently they couldn't fit it in my bathroom). 

What do you guys think about this plant list? I'm going to start with low light plants and then when I get my fish box back, I'll use some better LEDs that I have.

Plants:
Java fern
Java moss (taken from my shrimp tank, should grow back in the twenty gallon)
Pennywort
Frogbit (or whatever floaters I can find at a decent price on aquabid)
Crypts (thinking wendtii and stuff?)
Anubias species
Bacopa?

Do any of you guys know if these plants don't tolerate heat well? 

Those plants should be fine with the temperature.  I think a 10 gallon would be perfect for one of those king bettas.  I do suggest a sponge filter though once you get settled.  This will help break the water surface enough to keep a film from forming plus will allow you to have more places for bacteria.

I can build my own sponge filter if I need to. The plants (particularly the floating plants) should take in the nitrate and junk.

I'm hoping to set up the tank and sand and heater today. I'll toss in the Java moss too, weed out some of my crypts from the shrimp tank.

After I pay the bills, I'm going to get a package deal off a seller on Aquabid so I can replant my 30 gallon at the same time. So I have some time before I go pick out my new buddy. Ideally I want a plakat or some other shorter finned variety. I don't want to order another fish from Thailand though. The shipping is expensive~

Wow, this sounds like a neat project, please keep us updated!

There are lots of good US breeders with PK (plakats) so that is what I would recommend when you go to get your new betta buddy. 

Yeah? Well I will give that a look. On Aquabid, most of the Betta sections are flooded by the Thailand breeders. I'll have to give it a sort. Do you know any particular breeders? You helped me out with my sorority breeder which I was very happy with if you recall.

I will see if any of the breeders in my "local" IBC betta club and see if any of them are breeding PK and will have some ready to go in the near future.  Also will look at a couple more breeders I know of that are not in my immediate club to see what all they have as well.  Definitely better than importing one in for a pet. 

I appreciate that!

Today I'm setting up the tank and adding sand. I'm also going to see if this secondhand heater is operational. Might as well figure that part out now. It's rainy and gross here so I might as well spend some time cleaning sand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back