What's new

UGG

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰
My brain hurts, i cant decide to do a tank with gravel or sand. What are you using and how has it worked for you?
How long have you kept fish for? And what substrate have you been using?

IMO, for a beginner, gravel is easier. Me personally? I use play sand in all of my tanks. It’s cheap, and it looks great. (I bought a 50lb bag of clean play sand for $4.99) :)

I have used both. I started with gravel, natural coloured not one of the fancy dayglo things, then changed to sand. I would not go back to gravel. I find it so much easier to clean the tank because any debris sits on top of the sand. I use a siphon tube, but just the tubing part, I don't use the wide nozzle on the end. I hold the open end just above the sand and watch the muck flow up the tube.

My sand is aquarium sand, a cheaper brand than those well known makes. But play sand is cheap and is good in a fish tank as it is totally free from impurities - it has to be as children will eat the sand they play in, either deliberately or just on their hands when they eat something.

Whichever you decide to go for, avoid white sand or gravel. Fish have all evolved over a darker substrate and white is stressful for them.

I have used both. I started with gravel, natural coloured not one of the fancy dayglo things, then changed to sand. I would not go back to gravel. I find it so much easier to clean the tank because any debris sits on top of the sand. I use a siphon tube, but just the tubing part, I don't use the wide nozzle on the end. I hold the open end just above the sand and watch the muck flow up the tube.

My sand is aquarium sand, a cheaper brand than those well known makes. But play sand is cheap and is good in a fish tank as it is totally free from impurities - it has to be as children will eat the sand they play in, either deliberately or just on their hands when they eat something.

Whichever you decide to go for, avoid white sand or gravel. Fish have all evolved over a darker substrate and white is stressful for them.
I completely agree. Most beginners use gravel, because it comes in the tank kit, or a pet store member recommends it. Another reason not to use white sand/gravel, is because you will be able to see every bit of poop on the bottom, and this is a hassle to keep up with! :)

How long have you kept fish for? And what substrate have you been using?

My family always had fish growing up. As an adult, i have had many tanks through the years. I am no expert but certainly not a newbie.

I should note though that every tank i had was gravel with a UGF. I am mainly interested in Tetras, Barbs, shrimp, and the like. Oh i should note that i have never as an adult had live plants in a tank but do plan to this go round. I wont have a massive amount of plants but will mix them with plastic ones.

My family always had fish growing up. As an adult, i have had many tanks through the years. I am no expert but certainly not a newbie.

I should note though that every tank i had was gravel with a UGF. I am mainly interested in Tetras, Barbs, shrimp, and the like. Oh i should note that i have never as an adult had live plants in a tank but do plan to this go round. I wont have a massive amount of plants but will mix them with plastic ones.
Live plants will grow in gravel, but not as well if you had sand in there. (IMO)

If you want shrimp, they prefer sand. My cherry shrimp will spend almost all day sifting through the sand to find uneaten bits of food and stuff like that.

So after all of the information given, I think sand would be your best choice. (I got my play sand from Home Depot. ;))

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back