Two questions

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

CatLover

Fish Addict
Reaction score
OK, I just ran the usual tests on my 75G tank, and I discovered a fairly high level of nitrite. I think it's there because of cycling. I have had the tank for... hmm.. about 2 months, and I thought its cycling was finished. There is no way I am able to strip the tank and start over. Are there any other solutions?

Also, what does fin rot look like? I know it's white on the tips of the fins, but can it also appear kinda clear?
My panda cories had their dorsal fins damaged by some cichlids. I thought their fins would remain that way, but now a clear substance has filled the vacant areas. It appears as though their fins are growing back, but it's not black. So what I have are panda cories with black fins with clear tips. Is it possible for fish to regrow pieces of fins?

Yes, fins do grow back. Your tank is still cycling - there is no need to strip it down and restart. If you do you'll be back to square one and start the cycling process all over again. Nitrite in high quantities is toxic to fish but not quite as toxic as amonia. Also, it's the second stage of cycling and should be over soon. During cycling you should really test your water daily coz the levels can differ drastically day by day. If the nitrite levels get too high for comfort, then do a 10% water change daily until the levels go down. It will prolong the cycle but keep the fish happier.

Thank you so much.

After I realized it was still cycling, I knew it would be over soon. I check the chemistry once a week. I wasn't aware things could change so quickly.
I did a 20% water change today. I will continue to do 10% ever day and see how things go.

Most reactions

Back