two of my new corys swallowed to much air.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bianca_m35

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So i got 3 mollys and 3 peppered corys. I was feeding freeze dried blood worms (from when i had a betta). The catfish swallowed to much air and has been struggling to stay upright since 10 hours ago. Now the other cory is doing it too. If i get near the tank the start swimming around fine. Their stomach is very bloated and i dont know how i can feed them a pea since theyre so small and wont eat cause theyre upside down.

this is an issue, but I do not think it's caused by swallowing too much air. It may be some sort of bacterial infection.

What size tank do you have?
What is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
How long has the tank been set up?
What are all tankmates?

Can you post a video?

All catfish swallow some air to help them with their buoyancy. If they swallow too much, it can cause them to have trouble staying level. After 24 hours they should have farted most of the air out and be back to normal.

this is an issue, but I do not think it's caused by swallowing too much air. It may be some sort of bacterial infection.

What size tank do you have?
What is ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?
How long has the tank been set up?
What are all tankmates?

Can you post a video?
its a 40 gallon tank. Its been set up for a few days. Got the water tested and they said it was good. 1 dalmation molly, 2 black mollys. and 3 peppered corys. Theyve been fine up until yesterday night.

All catfish swallow some air to help them with their buoyancy. If they swallow too much, it can cause them to have trouble staying level. After 24 hours they should have farted most of the air out and be back to normal.
Thats what im figuring cause they were fine until last night and can swim fine just cant stay upright.

The tank has been set up for a few days....

This means the tank has only began to cycle. Ammonia is beginning to build up and your fish are showing symptoms of damage being done.

You need your own test kit so you can monitor ammonia, nitrate, and nitrate while the tank cycles.

Do some research about the nitrogen cycle in the aquarium.

I concur, this does sound like a cycling issue. You must have a test for ammonia and nitrite (at the least) and if either are above zero (test every morning) do a 60-70% water change. This may need to be done every day, until ammonia is zero on successive days, and then the same for nitrite when it begins to show. Use a water conditioner (obviously), and here is where one that detoxifies ammonia and nitrite can benefit. Seachem's Prime, or another is Ultimate. However, the detoxification is temporary (24-36 hours), and tests will still show the ammonia/nitrite either way, just so you know.

You can also help this a lot by adding a bacterial supplement. Tetra's SafeStart is the best for this situation, but Seachem's Stability does help (I've used it).

On another issue, do not feed bloodworms more than once a week. This is not a nutritious food, and it will cause problems with frequent feedings. Once a week as a "treat" is it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back