Turtle

Turtles are great, deffinatly get 1. I have 2 snapping turtles, 2 painted turtles, and 1 RES (red earded slider). It depends on where your from, but if you live in northern USA, it's a very good chance that you have a RES. Does it have a red 'ear'? Whats teh coloration? You need a UVB light, you can get them for 10 bucks at pet shops. You need a basking light over your rocks. keep the temp on the rocks between 86-92 degrees F. Do you have a filter? You need a very powerful one that will filter all the water at least once an hour. You need a heater to maintain the water temp at 75-80 degrees. Feed your turtle feeder guppies, earth and meal worms, brine shrimp, snails, pellets, freeze dried krill. freeze dried tubiflex worms, and some non-piosonous insects, like dragonflies. Have the diet be very very ballanced. Not too much of anything. Mix it up. You'll need a vitamin supplement as well. You can get it in a powder form and spinkle it on the food. Turtles in captivity can live any where from 10-30 years. But it's usually right around 20. If you have shell rot, you'll see a white-'thing' clinging to your trutles shell. It's usually mistaken for shedding skin. There is one distiction between shell rot and shedding skin, you can see the shell rot even out of the water, the shedding skin you can only see in the water. You should emediatly remove the turtle from the aquarium. and soak his shell in bettadine. Keep him completely dry untill he gets better. But you have to give him two 30 minute baths in warm, clean water everyday. So he doesn't dehydrate. Untill, the fungus goes away, repeat this. The shell rot is caused by unclean water, and too cold of water. Hope thsi helps, and good Luck!
Ron

Hey, Lipreader-

I have kept a number of different turtle species over the years. Baby turtles are just unbelievably cute, huh?!?!? If you havent found it yet there is a lot of help at www.kingsnake.com. The turtles I have kept were all wild caught, so when they got to large for my tank I would just put them back where I found them.

Actually I have two baby RES. They are adorable! I love them to death. The are now in a Ten gal tank until I can afford somethign bigger. I'm just so happy to find them and cheap too! Five bucks for two! You wouldn't believe where I got them. Anyhow they are doing great and I'm just about to go out and buy a couple of ping pong balls for them to play around the tank with. They are very playful!

Most reactions

Back