afishdude I find that quite strange as amphibians amongst other animals revert to their place of birth usually to breed do they simply abandon their instincts for what is convenient?
I think this is the nature versus nurture argument all over again which is more or less like flipping a coin as there are so many arguments for both. My aunty recently had a rotweiler which bit a child, now this rotweiler was given a very fair and nice home and had all the comforts of a pedigree dog which due to their expense are especially cared for and it gave a warning (not a deep proper bite) to a child who was stroking it in its own home, it lives with another dog so play biting with other dogs is accepted but the dog is 2+ year old so any human biting is strictly not allowed as my aunty has 2 small children. Sadly this dog has had to be put down due to the attack on a small child, it is rotweiler so it is bred to guard and be powerful but as you read in the papers of people being attacked by dogs, it gives the view that the animal must of been trained poorly or been abused, whilst I swear this dog was treated excellently and from one of the finest breeders within the UK which caused great expense for my relations. Does nature or nurture command an animal? I believe personality is a serious role in an animals character and they can change within an instant. I believe it depends how far an animal is from its "wild" instincts on whether it will do unexpected behaviour but unexpected behaviour is always possible .like kick backs from a previous gene pool.