Turtle Help!

Leedsboi86

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I got two cute little turtles last night and one of them seems to have a bump on its belly
pic:

Any ideas what it could be?
The other one doesn't have one so no idea what it is, Not even sure what type of turtles they are I think there Terrapins

Looks like its been rubbing on something, maybe to get out the water?

They are terrapins and not the red eared type. I used to have one of the ones you have and wit was called a yellow slider, though that may be wrong.

Does the bottom of the shell feel soft? It should give a little but still feel strong.

What kind of set up do you have as they need a lamp to mimic the sun.

Hiya
I tried to make tank same as pet store, Kinda like a beach but has some wood floating on top.
It's gravel under water then goes upto onto sand surface.

And they have a simluated Sun light

Did you treat the water? I hope your not using tap water...if you are that could have something to do with it. Try using spring water...you can buy it buy the gallon at your local grocery store...or you can add a water conditioner to the tap water. I use spring water. I seems to work well and it's safer because some water conditioner's dont work well and the PH goes crazy. If you do get a conditioner for it make sure you get a good brand...however I totally recommend that you use spring water. Also make sure that your feeding him the right foods...and another thing to remember is to wash your hands after you handle him, especially with that bump because turtles carry salmonella and it can get you very sick.

***Keep in mind that he may have had the bump when you got him. The pet store may not of taken good care of him. If it gets worse or does not go away then take him back and get another one.***

Hiya

They have Moutain Spring volvic water lol

I phone LFS and he said to bring him in tuesday for a replacement and he GURANTEES that the one I take back will get the proper care?

LOL...good. So if it's not the water and your feeding him the right stuff I say that he had the bump when you got him. It's good that they are going to give you another one but I doubt they will care for the one you have now. I would hope that they do though. You have to be careful where you buy your pets from these days.

Could you maybe take some pictures of the setup please? The sand has do go right away. Sand is horrible for turtles if swallowed and it WILL be swallowed, same goes for small gravel. The gravel should be bigger than the head of the turtle. If swallowed the turtle will become impacted and can die from this. The only turtle that should be kept with sand are Soft-Shelled turtles as that is their habitat and they dig themselves in it to hunt. That turtle looks like a Yellow Bellied Slider (YBS) same as the RES but without the Red stripe. That bump appears to a for of shell rot. This happens when the shell is damaged and the wound becomes infected. I would do the right thing now that you already have it and treat the shell for shell rot. Take the turtle to a vet. If you take the turtle back to the store they'll just put it back in the tank and not care for it most probably like other stores do. Never try to imitate a setup in a pet store, usually they have no idea what they are doing. It is always best to do your research first ;)

Here is a page that tells you how to deal with shell rot: http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/meds...hell%20Disease:

i had a red eared slider and that looks like what mine did. i really can't help with the bump though.

Hiya

gonna use sand as a liner for bottom of tank and buy some smooth rocks(larger then turtle) and set it up,
He did have the bump when we got him sadly I just didn't see it right away >.<
But they are gonna take him bk on tuesday

Thank you for taking the time to reply, The Vets just been and she said everything seems fine just a deformerty but if it gets any bigger or turns soft then to take him into the vets, And they seem happy little stinkers and she thinks there cooters.

So you didn't take him back to the store? I hope you kept the poor little thing :) Let us know how it goes ;)

its not a yellow belly by the way, either a columbian slider or a river cooter... :rolleyes:

saying that... HMM..
maybe a few more pics of the head region?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back