Turning 10 Gallon Tank Marine - Shall I Use The Filter...?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tropic_john

Fish Herder
Reaction score
O.K, So I might be allowed to turn a 10g guppy tank marine. I use the hood filter as guppies aren't that much of a bioload and they are usually sold quite quickly :)

I'm thinking about using the current hood filter it has as a place to put rowaphos [if needed] and live rock rubble.

So here is how the filter works;

The water goes through the gravel, and through the plastic cover with the holes in it.
CIMG0773.jpg

The water goes up a 1'' diameter plastic pipe.
CIMG0774.jpg

The water gets pumped through a pump.
CIMG0768.jpg

The water is pumped into the filter compartment [9'' long, 2.5'' wide, 3'' deep - roughly]
CIMG0769.jpg

And finally out of the filter and into the water via a filter outlet.
CIMG0777.jpg

--------------------------

So that is the picture part of the filter, now some pics and questions about lighting.

The hood has a built in light [holds 1 light, 13watts. 6400k]
CIMG0765.jpg

And here is the specs of the light.
CIMG0766.jpg

So, can a marine tank live off one 13 watt light with reflectors [about 1.4 watts per gallon]? I'm only hoping for basic corals/mushies in this tank that don't require strong lights [like the sps corals?]

Many Thanks,

John.

I'd up the light if you are looking to keep softies and shrooms. You cuold always just do a folwr though. They are a lot less maintenance.

I wouldn't use the undergravel filter. They are a nitrate factory. Just get some powerheads and lr.

I could mod the filter inlet so the water comes in through the tube [I could cut half off it off and stick a cover over it] and not use the ugf.

?

John, I'm thinking, take off the hood, take out the under gravel filter and buy a clip-on light of a higher wattage or maybe swop the tank for a cube with better lighting

You could probably sell that tank as a start up guppy tank, with some of your lovely guppies included it should sell quickly :good:

Seffie x

John, I'm thinking, take off the hood, take out the under gravel filter and buy a clip-on light of a higher wattage or maybe swop the tank for a cube with better lighting

You could probably sell that tank as a start up guppy tank, with some of your lovely guppies included it should sell quickly :good:

Seffie x
Nice idea, you should be an entepeneur [sp] :p

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back