Tulip Eel?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Esfa

Shrimpy Shrimp
Reaction score
I bought an eel from my LPS, they said it was a white eel which is sometimes called a tulip eel. The guy in there who i always ask about fish (he knows his stuff) told me it grows to about 20" and will be fine with all my other fish. (3x convicts, common plec, bala shark, tyretrack eel, african clawed frog)

i put him in there and everything was fine. I fed them on bloodworm a few hours later and the eel went nuts for it. When i was getting into bed, i saw the frog zoom across the front of the tank with the eel hanging out of its mouth... about 3" of its tail. He had swallowed it headfirst. i pulled the lid off and then grabbed the eels tail and started pulling really hard. it was really slippy lol. But i got it all the way out, and i thoguht it was dead. so i dropped it back into the tank but it was trying to swim. So i tried to grab it out again but i couldnt reach it. got it in the end and put it ito my little tank. It is now fine.

but now i just found this:

Synbranchus mamoratus, Marbled swamp eel; The most commonly imported of the swamp eels this species will quickly grow to around 3 feet in captivity and is a formidable predator, adults should only be kept in a species tank. The jaws are powerful enough to do considerable damage to the unwary owners hands!

apparently, they are called tulip eels. Is this the same thing?

mine is a light pink with brown speckles and has no fins, except for the front ones.

Your eel looks like a young Monopterus albus, an Asian relative of Synbranchus marmoratus. They dont get quite so big with large adults reaching about 3 feet but they are still fearsome predators that will attack and consume anything it can catch.

thanks, i was hoping it would be you who replied.

maybe i should have just let the frog swallow it. lol

so.. will all of my fish that i listed eventualy be dinner? and do you know how long it will take?

I had a swamp eel once... He/she wasn't predatory, but was rather aggresive. It bit me once on the arm; thanks to it I had a V shaped wound, as their small teeth are arranged that way.. But I must say, it had a wonderful personality; it let me hand feed it, and even let me hold it, until the day it decided my arm was lunch... But even after that, it still let me hold him. hmm...

I caught mine in a local river; it's now back at the river, as I realise it's unrealistic to keep it; it was around 18 inches when I released it back.

I had a swamp eel once... He/she wasn't predatory, but was rather aggresive. It bit me once on the arm; thanks to it I had a V shaped wound, as their small teeth are arranged that way.. But I must say, it had a wonderful personality; it let me hand feed it, and even let me hold it, until the day it decided my arm was lunch... But even after that, it still let me hold him. hmm...

I caught mine in a local river; it's now back at the river, as I realise it's unrealistic to keep it; it was around 18 inches when I released it back.

the poor little bugger died, prolly from stress after being swallowed. :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back