Trying to figure out how much Kanacyn to use

Socrates

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Kanacyn makes a big point out of dosing for the NET amount of water.

So I figure by NET gallons they mean the amount of water actually in the tank when taking into account the space at the top, decorations, gravel, etc.

I have a 40 gallon tank, but if you measuer the amount actually in there minus the air on top, it's actually 32.7 MAX.

Then there are the curved corners. Maybe a gallon or so there.

Then there's the biggest problem: how much does 50 pounds of largish (Kordon) gravel take up in volume? How much does about 13 plastic plants take up in volume. How much do the rocks, ship, etc, take up?

Does it really matter? Should I dose for 30? Should I dose for 25?

After a catastrophic Ich dosing, I want to be very very careful here.

Hi Socrates :)

I'm glad you decided to go with the Kanacyn. :nod: And I'm glad you were able to find it since Aquatronics products will no longer be available at the lfs when they run out.

I would dose for the whole 40 gallons. I've used the product when I got my C. melinis and they turned out to be sick. When the first one died I double dosed for one treatment with no harm done. Out of a total of 8 very sick fish, I saved 6 by using it.

Just be sure that the ich meds are completely removed before starting treatment.

Good luck. I hope this will help. :nod:

Petco has it.

I put in 3 capsules about 15 minutes ago.

Should I hit the 4th?

I think that's what you are saying.

The Ich meds should be gone after a couple days with carbon and a few water changes.

What I couldn't find though, was the "Intensive Care" they mention on the package as "recommended" to avoid oxygen depletion.

I'd go for the whole 4 capsules. :nod: At least to start.

Don't worry about adding anything for oxygen depletion since you have plenty of movement of water on the top of the tank. It will pick up all the oxygen you need. Since low oxygen content in the water is one of the conditions that permits harmful bacteria to thrive, so I guess they want to make a few dollars more selling a product that will help eliminate that.

BTW, how are your other fish doing? :unsure:

You know the Corys are active again.

But on definitely has a little frayed fin.

The Silver Tips are scaring the crap out of each other. They are far more aggressive when the water is warm. When it's at 75 they are much much nicer to each other. I think it's a mating instinct. Either way, they are stressing each other out, but I've been through this with them before, once the temp gets back down, I suspect they'll be fine.

The one NEon is looking really solid.

The Rummy Noses are looking sad. They are plenty active with the lights off, some of the red has returned to their noses. But their skin is scaly looking and discolored. They really get nervous with the light on and do a lot of hiding.

I'm basically just trying to run with room lights as much as possible.

The biggest blow in the whole thing is that before all the medicating and dying, my fish all went to the surface expectantly every time I stood up from the couch to get a soda. Now they all run for the hills whenever I move anywhere in the room. I guess they have been conditined to think that I'm the angel of death now. ;)

Don't feel bad about your fish's attitude. They're still a bit sick and probably not too enthusiastic about anything right now. If we had been through all that they have we wouldn't be feeling too chipper either.

Give them some time to recover and get their strength back and they will back to being their old selves again. :kana:

Most reactions

Back