Trying To Decide What I Can Put In My Tank With My Jack Dempsey

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Imcanadieneh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
What do you suggest. He is the only thing in the tank. I just would like to see some more fish moving around. Maybe some smaller fish I would kind of like a community tank. I just don't know if he will eat little fish he doesn't seem to mind small fish he used to be with some tetras but he never bothered them. What do you think?

I have a young pair of electric blues living with a v.large syno angelicus, 3 raphael cats, 5 loaches (all over 5 yrs old) and a bunch on endlers. They keep the endler population down and all the rest are bigger than they are. Eventually they won't have the endlers in there but the rest will stay.
P.
P.S:Mine are in a larger tank than yours is. A 30g would allow for a few bottom dwellers, just avoid anything too big or too small.

30 Gallon isn't really big enough for a Jack Dempsey. Putting anything else in there will undoubtedly end in the JD killing it as they can and will be very aggressive, especially if there isn't sufficient territories and escape routes, which a 30 gallon just wont possess for a 10" fish I'm afraid.

30 Gallon isn't really big enough for a Jack Dempsey. Putting anything else in there will undoubtedly end in the JD killing it as they can and will be very aggressive, especially if there isn't sufficient territories and escape routes, which a 30 gallon just wont possess for a 10" fish I'm afraid.

I agree, I would say try and get your hands on a 55USG and get some Silver Dollars,you could probably add something else aswell but I would start with the SDs, great dithers and can get fairly large which make them interesting IMO

You should probably upgrade to at least a 55 gal, then you could add something like a pictus catfish or another large bottom dweller. If you got a 75 gal or larger you could add in another jd or an oscar.

Most reactions

Back