Tropical Fish Newbie Seeks Advice

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

janeface

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi there!
I have just purchased a new tropical tank and have set it all up as per instructions! So..it looks great but as yet no fish.
I want to make sure that I get everything right before I add any little housemates.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated..
Firstly, the temp in the tank is 27 degrees without the heater on. Should I turn the heater on anyway? Will this just maintain the temperature? Is this the right temperature for the fish?
I have filled the tank and added the correct amount of chlorine remover/water conditioner.
I cleaned all the stones and artificial plants before putting in the tank.
I have the filter running and the water is gently rippling at the top. It is a 55 litre tank.
I have bought two test kits - one is an NH4 Ammonia Test Kit and the other is an NO2 Nitrate Test Kit.
I set the tank up last night so have not yet used either test kit.  Do I need to change any water before I get the fish? I keep getting all kinds of conflicting advice from people who appear to know what they are doing, but have decided to join this site and ask the people who actually DO know and care about their fish. Even the three guys in the fish shop seemed to differ in their instructions so any clarity would be most appreciated
smile.png

Sorry for all the questions...just want to get it right!
Jane.

Hello.  The tank sounds great, it will make a nice home for your fishes - Have you got any pictures??  The heater can be left on as it is temperature controlled so will turn off when it reaches the correct temp, with temperature drops at night its a safe way to be sure the temp is regulated.

It is good news you have not got fish in your tank already, unfortunately you are set for a bit of a wait but it will be worth it in the end - I suggest you read the following information:- http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

You will need to get yourself a test kit for Nitrites too and preferably for reading PH. 

Local fish shops will all give you wrong information that will eventually lead to your fish dieing very quickly, it allows them to get a greater profit.  Best of luck!

Hi and thanks for the reply - the link that i clicked on refers to freshwater and mine is a tropical tank, is this still the correct procedure to follow?
Jane

Hi Jane, yes it is the same process for freshwater and tropical.  I hope this does not put you off as it is an extremely enjoyable process and you know you will give the best home to your future fish.  My tanks are currently cycling, I have live plants and it's amazing enough just watching them grow!

Do you know anyone with a fish tank?  If you are able to get a small piece of their filter foam then it will 'seed' your filter and greatly speed up the process! Jay

Hi Jane,

Freshwater just means water that isn't salt water (as in the sea). That link is for both coldwater freshwater and tropical freshwater.

As we are having unusually warm weather for the UK it will be tricky to set your heater at the moment as the water will be warmer than most fish like it just because of the heatwave. But for cycling, it is usual to have the water temp higher. Set your heater to get the water at cycling temps, then when you have finished, the weather will be its usual cold and damp and you can reset the heater for what the fish will need.

Thank you all for the info! I will follow the procedures as in the link.
I did some tests on the water earlier - an ammonia test and a nitrate test and both came up with the correct colours.
I am looking forward to getting this all going properly and will hopefully post a pic!

Hi Jane, welcome to the forum. This is honestly the best place to be if you have any questions about your tank and what goes inside it.

I'm a beginner too and the best possible thing you could do before adding fish is correctly cycling your tank, as suggested previously.

I didn't cycle my tank first and, after many weeks, I'm still finding it difficult to control what's going on.

Read, ask questions and read some more! We love pictures here so get snapping and show us what you're set up is like!

janeface said:
I have bought two test kits - one is an NH4 Ammonia Test Kit and the other is an NO2 Nitrate Test Kit.

I just noticed you said this in your first post, then later you mentioned doing a nitrate test.

There are two chemicals, nitrite (NO2) and nitrate (NO3). The names are so similar that it is easy to use the wrong name but it is important to make sure you get them the right way round. The nitrogen cycle is ammonia (toxic) to nitrite (toxic) to nitrate (much less toxic). If you post that you have a nitrate reading of such and such, someone will ask what your nitrite is
smile.png

Hi, thanks for this! I just did the tests with the two kits I was told to buy from the aquarium shop. they are definitely NO2 and NH4 kits, so do I need an NO3 kit too?
I love being on here - everyone is so helpful.. I feel as if I have joined a great club! I will keep reading too - it seems there is never too much to know! Jane

You do not need the NO3 kit immediately (Though I find it is nice to know existing levels for future reference).  The NO3 kit will become more important when you are at a later stage in your cycle when Ammonia is converted to Nitrite and the Nitrites are becoming Nitrates! Its a bit more tricky using the Nitrate test kit as it can give funny readings when there is Nitrite in the tank and also the instructions (about shaking the containers) needs following to the word! It certainly is a never ending learning curve this fish keeping business
smile.png
fish.gif

It is a great club, Jane!

You may have received some poor(ish) advice from your aquarium shop... I would have thought, as a beginner, the minimum type of testing kit you should be looking for would cover Ammonia (NH3/NH4), Nitrite (NO2), Nitrate (NO3) and pH.

A fairly good one, for the price, is the API Master Test Kit which you can get on ebay for much less than in a local fish shop, so bear that in mind. I'd definitely go with cycling your tank without fish, a process made much easier if you can borrow/steal some mature, healthy filter media from a shop or friend.

214jay raises a good point too - some live plants in there will not only look great and be lovely for your future fish, they should also use up some of the nutrients that algae would normally use. Live plants have many benefits to an aquarium and look fabulous!

Out of interest, which type of fish did you have in mind to begin with?

Hi! I will look online for the right test kits - thanks!
I will get some live plants to go in the tank - I just didn't know whether to do this immediately, but I have seen some that look great and I can feel a spending spree coming on this saturday!
As for the types of fish I would like, I am about to show you how much of an amateur I really am :)
I haven't looked that closely at the fish yet as I wanted to get the tank ready but...I saw some exquisite little red ones that are just the funkiest dudes and when I asked the aquarium guy, he said that yes, I could have some of those! I also like the neon fishies (tetras I think?) with the little stripes in them and see that they come in different colours, so a mixture would be nice. I like Guppies too with their floaty tails.
I promise to learn more about them all (including their names!) before I buy!!
I have been told that I shouldn't get more than about 20 fish for my tank and this sounds fine to me. I want them to have plenty of space and to enjoy their shiny new tank.
I have switched the heater on and and am starting the whole process of cycling. It is actually quite fun to do, as if preparing a new home for someone - except there is no messy paintwork or stepladders involved! I have been in my flat for 3 years, first time buying a property and this will just make the whole place complete.
Roll on the weekend for live plants!
Jane

Saying you can have 20 fish in your 55 litre tank is not good advice. You need to take into consideration the adult size of any species, the bioload of the species, and any behavioural requirements of the fish. For instance, on a size and bioload basis, zebra danios will go, but they are such fast swimmers that they need a much bigger tank than you'd think.

I think the "one inch of fish per American gallon of fish that grow to a maximum of 3 inches" guideline is a good starting point for a new fishkeeper. With your tank you are looking at about 14.5 inches of fish max till your tank is mature and you have a lot more experience. That's the adult size of the fish not the size they are in the shop as most of them will be juveniles.
The little red fish could be chili rasboras or possibly ember tetras (though these tend to look pale orange in shop tanks). Unless your water is extremely hard, they would be a good choice.
As for neon tetras, you need a shoal of just one species, you can't mix them. You might get away with them if your tank is long rather than tall.
Guppies would also be a good choice for your tank as would endlers. But get only males as these fish breed like rabbits and would over populate your tank in no time.

While your tank is cycling, go round all your local shops and make a note of what catches your eye. Then come back here and we'll tell you which are suitable from your list.

janeface said:
I have switched the heater on and and am starting the whole process of cycling.

Just to check, you are using bottled ammonia, as per the link earlier in this thread, are you? Cos if not, you aren't cycling anything apart from your electricity meter. :)

Yes, bottled ammonia with no additives.
I will certainly take the advice about making a note of which fish I like and asking on here if they would be suitable. The guy in the fish shop said I could have 'any combination of all the tanks on the left', which was basically a whole load of tanks containing different tetra and the guppies and the little red ones that caught my eye. He did not say don't mix the tetra, but then I guess they just want to sell!
He did mention getting only male guppies though.
Thanks again!
Jane.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back