Trickle filter best options and Septicemia maybe ?

desley

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

I am sort of a beginner ... 7 months .. but still trying to learn how to look after my tropical tank correctly. I only just found this forum and have learned heaps already. THANKS>

Now I can ask some questions and possibly get better advise than from the pet shop and help some of my fish that are a little unwell.

I hope this is not too long but I hope to cover everything so I can then go about fixing the problems.

OK .. I have a 20 gallon tank with a trickle system. After 7 months I have only replaced the carbon a week or so ago. I cleaned it regularly with water changes but didn't know to change the pad.

Anyway, what I have done now is the following:

Replaced the Carbon pad - then water runs over noodles .. then onto another pad .. which I have replaced with a phosphate pad .. then over to another pad which I used plain filter wool and then the final stage over noodles again into the tank. Do you think this is the best types of pads to use with the trickle system.

I must admit the fish are looking happier since I did this and I also added "Easy-Life" which you can read about here www.easylife.nl .. and this has gotten rid of all the medications etc I have been using to try to treat my fish symptoms. They also seem to like that .. except for a few sick looking ones.

Now .. maybe the fish were sick from my lack of changing filter pads and or our dreaded heatwave - 40+ days (105 F) - 30 nights (85 F) for about 3 - 4 days following weeks of 37 days (100 F). My problems did seem to start after this really bad burst of heat .... some friends lost their fish too.

OK I have platties, guppies & danios.

All danios are happy, not dying and generally as they always are.

Guppies seem to get tired looking, possible fin rot and die apart from a male & female. Sometimes they look like they are slumping over (only the females).

Platties - One white one has a red/orange streak through it's top fin. It did have a tear there but that has healed and the streak does seem to be growing under the skin. Thats where I was thinking Septicemia after reading the forum. I do not have a vet who deals in fish I can go to. Only pet shop medications.

A couple of other platties died .. a few look fine (all 1-2 month old babies are doing well) .. but some of the adults are not. One in particular has white patches on it's face. It doesn't look like it's growing outwards. More inwards. Another is just plain tired and thin looking. Not just under her belly... thin all over and sits towards the back of the tank.

They seem to flash on things in the tank but not excessively. Even the healthier looking platties (except babies) have flashed. I have previously treated the tank (half dose due to babies) with Wardley Promethyasul. Also with multi-cure (again half dose). Done extra gravel cleans and water changes but wasn't changing those filter pads !!

What should I do next. Do you think I have TB or Septicemia in the tank?

Should I treat again with multi-cure or Wardley Promethyasul.

As Easy-Life takes out all medications and I have added it today .. will medication be effective.

I always took out the carbon (although probably nothing was left in my old one) when I treated.

I really need to know what best to do as I am mixed up ...

Sorry again it's so long but better to give a complete history and possibly if someone has some time they can work out what's up. Maybe I am best to leave it all alone and see what happens now easy life is in and filter pads are changed.

Thanks so much
Desley

Most reactions

Back