Trichopsis Pumila (Pygmy Gourami)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tonym

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well a pleasent surprise this evening my Trichopsis pumila are breeding. Watching them wrap is amazing, there in a community tank so absolutley no chance of the fry surviving. One thing that is happening i didnt expect to see is the female is protecting the eggs from other fish while the male pops them in the nest. Watching a 1.5 inch Pygmy Gourami trying to intimadate a 4 inch Frail gourami is quite funny as the frail gourami doesnt care or seem to notice its aggression A* for her effort though.

:clap: Congratulations :hyper:
Any chance of a video/pictures?
How are your /frail Gouramis doing? :cool:

I'll try and get a pic or a video for you.

The Frail Gourami's are good, still got all 3 of them ive had no problems with them so far. From what ive found is keep the water really clean and they seem to do well.

I'll try and get a pic or a video for you.

Thanks! :hyper: :hyper:

The Frail Gourami's are good, still got all 3 of them ive had no problems with them so far. From what ive found is keep the water really clean and they seem to do well.
Thats great, you must be doing a great job to keep these alive! :D

Ive got a picture of the male guarding the nest its not the best picture ive ever taken, i'll have to dust off the camera and take some proper ones of them.

Pygmygourami.jpg

I'll pop some proper photo's of the frails on here at some point for you guys as well.

Ive got a picture of the male guarding the nest its not the best picture ive ever taken, i'll have to dust off the camera and take some proper ones of them.

Pygmygourami.jpg

I'll pop some proper photo's of the frails on here at some point for you guys as well.
Cool!
Be sure to inform us when you see the eggs :D

Ive already seen the eggs as they were dropping out the female after they were done wrapping im gonna upload a better pic now as i was so ashamed of the last one got the camera out.

Proper picture of the male guarding the nest.

Pygmygourami2.jpg

Picture of one of the frail gourami's and there's also my female Betta foerschi trying to get in on the action

Frail2.jpg

The same one again, that ones the dominant one so the other keep clear. also the betta foerschi trying to get in on the act again.

frail1.jpg

The same one again.....

frail3.jpg

Excellent pics, you must be over the moon with the whole Sparkling Gourami malarkey :D
If its OK with you , I nominate the last picture of the Frail Gourami for the FOTM competition,either the NOV 10 if you can quickly post it before nominations close in a few hours or the DEC competition.
Carl

I was pleased as i didnt think they would breed as its a community tank and i hadnt made any effort to get them to breed, the only thing that made me have a look is there was lots of that croaking noise they make going on. The fry wont survive as its a comunity tank and also i havnt got the time to raise them so there gonna have to go it alone if the eggs arnt all gone by the morning that is. Although the male is a lot more agressive than the female as he just made one of the frails get away from the bubble nest.

To late for FOTM so might enter the photo next month.

Or enter a photo of one of my Ctenopoma ansorgii as there awesome.

He is still garding the nest so im assuming there are still eggs in there. I'll try and get a photo of the fry before they are eaten by the other fish.

Pygmy3.jpg

Thats great news, really hope the fry dont get eaten :sad:
Are you feeding the fry anything?

I havnt seen any fry yet they should of hatched he's still guarding the nest so im assuming there not free swimming yet. I dont want to take the top of the tank off and start poking around incase i disturb the nest. To be honest i wouldnt have the time to raise the fry im quite busy at the moment and from what ive read the fry are quite delicate.

I havnt seen any fry yet they should of hatched he's still guarding the nest so im assuming there not free swimming yet. I dont want to take the top of the tank off and start poking around incase i disturb the nest. To be honest i wouldnt have the time to raise the fry im quite busy at the moment and from what ive read the fry are quite delicate.
Oh and there was me thinking they hatched :blush: :lol:
Its a shame you don't have the time to help raise them. Would be great if you could :nod:
Really hope the egg/fry will make it :sad: ;)
Carl

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back