Treating ICK

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

txbelle221

Reaction score
I have noticed that my fish have a slight outbreak of Ick. It's not real bad yet, but I did turn up the heater yesterday(when I noticed it) to about 83 F and did a 20% water change. I went ahead and bought some meds today just incase this doesn't work. My question is if I do have to result to using the med, do I need to move my 4 Platy fry?

I am pretty sure it had to come from the new fish that I bought because all of my water perimeters are staying the same(the ones that need to). I would have to wait until I get home from work to get all of the exact readings of my water. Anyway, my main concern is the fry. And I was unsure of adding the aquarium salt because of the Betta. Can they handle the salt?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Christy

Not sure about the fry, but a lot of betta owners actually prefer to keep their bettas in salt. I think there is some kind of general rule with salt that scaleless fish are the ones that can't handle it (anyone tell me if this is true?). I'm pretty new to fish keeping though, one of the experts will come along soon to answer you about the fry. Good luck!

Meds won't hurt the fry, infact, it seemed to effect my adults much more! As far as the salt goes, I'm on board with salt and I have 2 corries. There is salt in almost all water in nature. The question is how much is too much? I se 1/4tsp per gallon and even my corry cats are happy. I tried the prescribed amount(2 table spoons for 10 gal) and had to do some quick water changes to save them but me and peeps from the catfish cradle have been talking and 1/4tsp per gallon won't hurt, plus you get the bennefits. All my fish are happy and my corries LOVE the salt!!!

Thanks for the info....I appreciate the help. :D When I got home today, he seemed to have less spots(he didn't have alot to begin with). So I am going to wait and see what happens with the high temp and try to get some salt tomorrow. At least now I do have the meds on hand if I need them in the future.

Thanks for the info......I thought that I was rid of it maybe, but after examining my Platies this morning, two of my goldbars have ich. These are the last fish that I added and against all of ya'lls(yep, I'm from Texas ;) ) advice I bought them at Wal Mart :(

Anyway, do I use the ich med(I bought Aquari Sol), the salt and the high temp all together? Or, should I just try the salt and high temps first? I have been doing 10 to 20% water changes daily.

I am going in a few minutes to get the aquarium salt and see if I can find a filter w/o carbon for my tank. Also I went ahead and bought some MelaFix....can I or should I use it too?

Thanks and have a great day! :p

Maybe theres something about texans, but I am too and will use salt, jungle fungus, and melafix all at same time. I just watch the fish and am ready to do a quick water change if they look stressed. My guppies could withstand the best WMD after their chemical conditioning training they went thru last week. Everyone is well and I've since done a few water changes and put carbon back in.I'm gonna keep with 1/4tsp of salt and 82 temp. Why not? I mean, what's the down side if it keeps everyone healthy.

Eek! I don't have a heater, but it's warm at my place (constant and steady 75F). One of my bettas has Ich. It's not prominent, but I thought it was just particles at first. I took him out of the 2.5 and placed him in a container with salt and MethyBlu. I don't know what it is, but I have a 66% mortality rate when I place a betta into a filtered tank. I've lost 2 out of 3. I've had no problems keeping them in unheated and unfiltered tanks and bowls with no incidents. I admit, there was one stretch where I didn't change the water for 10 days for a couple of bowls. Yet, nothing happened with those bettas. Nothing. No fungus or anything. I get a filter for the 2.5g all clean and set. BAM! - a couple of days later he gets Ich. What gives? :huh:

I have almost rid my fish of their Ick. I turned up the heater, added some salt and put in the ich med and I put in the Melafix one day because my Betta seemed to have a spot on his side that didn't look right. I am still treating them, but it all seems to be gone. :clap:

I was doing water changes (20%) everyday and wasn't sure if I was supposed to do that or not. I skipped last night and just medicated them and they seem to be fine.....I will probably do a small change tonight though. Another question I had on the salt is when to add more. When I do water changes I put the water in 1 gallon water jugs and add my dechlorinator. Do I need to put in a little salt each time or just wait until I do a large water change?

I don't know about the Betta and the filtered tank, this is my first time to use a filtered tank with a Betta, but I am like you, I have never had a problem with them being in just a regular non-filtered bowl. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back