Traveling With Fish (Moving And Don't Want To Leave My Babies, Hel

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PrincessKiara

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello!
My parents are planning ANOTHER move. Thankfully this time it won't be international, but it will apparently involve a plane ride. I will have to leave the tank behind, but since we're heading to a tropical location I'm taking the plants, the snails, the angels and the cories with me at least.
My veterinarian uncle told me I should double-bag the fish with as little water and as much air as possible, and stash the bag(s) inside a cardboard box lined with newspaper (they won't be in there more than a day or two, I'd imagine. Probably just a few hours...) and that upon arrival they'd be fine in a large (40g or so) plastic Rubbermaid with an airstone, just till we can buy another tank.
Is that true? Is there anything (rooibos, for example) that I can add to the water to help them relax, and if so, how much? Can I toss them all in the same bag? I know for a fact that I will be very pinched for space and hard put to it to carry my babies along with all the other stuff I'll have to take on the plane.
There are two angels around 2" long, six young peppered cories, some sort of pygmy chain sword/grass thing, some Elodea, some Hornwort, a tiny Malaysian Trumpet Snail or two, a couple Briggs snails and masses of tiny ramshorn snails. I plan to slip as many of my current Bio-Balls as I can fit into the bag, to help with cycling the new tank.
Also, my uncle told me that the sand and seawater in places like Cancun are so clean I could use them to set up a saltwater aquarium, is that true?
Thanks a bunch!
~PK.

P.S. Assuming I can get the scholarship I'm after, I will be going to study in Romania, in a little over a year. Do you know what laws govern the importation of fish and plants over there? I promised Fideo, my rescue cory, that I would always take care of her. :p

I would think that they might not let those animals and plants through security, so might want to check the rules and restrictions on that to. And as you said id try to keep as much old filter media as possible, and keep it damp. Putting them in bags with mostly air is correct thats how they get shipped. You wont be able to carry them on far as i know so id label the box. I dont know about adding stuff to the water for less stress though. Id put the different school of fish in different bags. So the 2 angels with snails, and the corys by them selves or a few snails with them as well. Sorry about moving man! Ive done it so many times my self and now my fish dont have to move anymore, although im living at 3 houses right now and moving from 2 of them to the new one in a few months. :/ moving sux lol but im getting a awesome tank! so its all good.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back