Transporting Fish

Acara Man

New Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2009
Messages
58
Reaction score
0
Points
0
For a six hour journey...

Am I better bagging the fish (3 Acara, 2 FM, 4 Silver Dollars, 1 Pictus Cat and 1 RTBS) individually or will they be better in a cooler box full of water...say with an estimated 40 odd litres in?

Heat shouldnt be an issue as it will be done in summer...

If I bag them they will be stored in the cooler box (without water obviously) and with oxygen tablets in each. Should I bag the Silver Dollars in pairs?
 
I did a similarly timed trip last summer (plus some because one of the cars broke down) with my fish and I bagged them and put them in a cooloer/shipping box. I think if you fill the cooler with water you have more risk of leakage or of the lid coming open. In my case, I put some of the fish in bags together, and some separate, depending mostly on size. I guess with the SDs I would say that you should use your best judgement, but if you have enough bags, they should be fine on their own for the journey
 
Don't feed for 24 hours before the trip, double bag with 1/3 water, 2/3 air. Invert the first bag into the second, this eliminates folds & corners where the fish can get trapped. For 6 hours there is nothing more that needs to be done, no O2 tabs, nothing.

The cooler is a good idea, not only to maintain temperature, but to provide a dark environment. This has a calming effect, less stress means healthier fish.
 
Yeah will be double bagged...and each bag then placed inside a dark coloured carrier bag to keep out light...then all placed in a cooler box for safety. The Acaras will definately be bagged seperately as will the FMs. The Pictus will be bagged on its side so it can move freely. I'm a bit worried about its dorsal spike puncturing a bag so I may transport him in a sandwich sized tupperware box with small holes drilled in the top - that will then be placed in the bottom of the cooler so it will stay level.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top