Transhipping pain points and opportunities for improvement

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

jerseycaquatic

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am interested in becoming a transhipper and wanted to learn about the pain points that many of you have experienced when buying fish overseas. This is a relatively new endeavor for me, but I have read about many people's experiences and I want to do my best to improve on the current processes (e.g. modes of communication, order management, shipping, etc.). Your genuine input would be appreciated, and in turn I promise to do my best to make your experience better when I start my business. Please feel free to also offer any other recommendations or tips that you may have. Thank you very much!

From what i have googled it sounds like someone who gets fish through security.

You have to pay an additional fee to the transhipper on top of the shipping fee from the seller in order to get your fish. I mean no offense at all but itā€™s expensive and a big hassle. Most of the fish come from Taiwan. I donā€™t buy from anyone if I have to deal with a middle man. You usually have to make the arrangements yourself too. Just too much work and expense. On top of that, it takes weeks or months to get your fish. When Iā€™m searching for new fish online, I scratch all overseas fish for that reason. They have some beautiful fish but just not worth it. On top of that, you have no idea what the farms are like that the fish are coming from. Itā€™s better to find a family owned business where family in Taiwan send the fish to family here. Then you have a good contact source and can know their stocking better. I doubt you will make too much money on this and it places a lot of work and responsibility on you.

You have to pay an additional fee to the transhipper on top of the shipping fee from the seller in order to get your fish. I mean no offense at all but itā€™s expensive and a big hassle. Most of the fish come from Taiwan. I donā€™t buy from anyone if I have to deal with a middle man. You usually have to make the arrangements yourself too. Just too much work and expense. On top of that, it takes weeks or months to get your fish. When Iā€™m searching for new fish online, I scratch all overseas fish for that reason. They have some beautiful fish but just not worth it. On top of that, you have no idea what the farms are like that the fish are coming from. Itā€™s better to find a family owned business where family in Taiwan send the fish to family here. Then you have a good contact source and can know their stocking better. I doubt you will make too much money on this and it places a lot of work and responsibility on you.

Thank you for your honest feedback. This potential endeavor is definitely something that I would want to think through further taking into account your comments. I'll continue thinking about where I might be able to make improvements in terms of efficiency, coordination with customers, and good communication. I try not to give up that easily!

Most reactions

Back