Transferring from a cycled tank

777james777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello, not been on here for a while but have been enjoying my fish since my last visit.

Iv had a cycled tank now for almost 6 months. It’s 160 litres and is home to my community of fish.
I replace 80% of the water every 10-14 days and in the last 3 months I have lost no fish 🐠 :)

However…. I’m wanting a second tank… (a smaller on for a betta and some shrimps.

My question is. Can I use some of my current substrate and water from the big tank to transfer into my betta tank (to save me doing a complete water cycle again)

Word of warning. Don't listen to anyone that says if you transfer gravel it can help cycle a tank, It doesn't. Unless you are going from undergravel filter system in both set ups.

It's ALL about the mature filter media, and the actual media. Mature water doesn't help cycle a tank either.

With the media it can be tricky also, as the beneficial bacteria don't necessarily spread themselves out evenly in the sponge/filter media.

However, if I was you, I would cut off / separate some filter media from your mature tank and just be sure to test the new tank for ammonia and nitrite when you add fish. And don't forget if you use some mature media, it will need that food source, either from fish, pure ammonia or fish food.

If you do cut off some media, you might want to also test ammonia/nitrite in the mature tank as well , but this all depends on stocking levels and feeding levels.

Wait until ammonia starts rising.

Squeeze your established media near the intake of your new filter and put it back where it was.

Monitor nitrogen levels and enjoy. You don't need to swap medias. A good squeeze will bring billions of bacteria to your new filter.

Make sure your shrimps are well established and have unreachable hiding space before adding your betta.

Because what ever the size the shrimp is, it will be a target.

Word of warning. Don't listen to anyone that says if you transfer gravel it can help cycle a tank, It doesn't. Unless you are going from undergravel filter system in both set ups.

It's ALL about the mature filter media, and the actual media. Mature water doesn't help cycle a tank either.

With the media it can be tricky also, as the beneficial bacteria don't necessarily spread themselves out evenly in the sponge/filter media.

However, if I was you, I would cut off / separate some filter media from your mature tank and just be sure to test the new tank for ammonia and nitrite when you add fish. And don't forget if you use some mature media, it will need that food source, either from fish, pure ammonia or fish food.

If you do cut off some media, you might want to also test ammonia/nitrite in the mature tank as well , but this all depends on stocking levels and feeding levels.

I would add to this by using stability and prime every day for the 1st 7 days. I always keep extra media (mostly matrix in big bags in my display tank) just in case I want to start a new tank or even a QT. I've never had a problem using seasoned media (2 months or older) and stability/prime combo). Test everyday for the 1st 2 weeks and than every other day for the next 2 weeks. Never lost fish like this

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back