Transfer Filter Medium To New Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liz xty

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
What's folks thoughts on transferring my current filter with all its bacterial goodies into a new tank AND running a new filter at the same time to prime and colonise the new filter?
I've had a fresh water tropical for 18 months now and understand the nitrogen cycle and the filter's roll in that process. I've got a larger aquarium which I'll be setting up in the next week or 2.
My current tank has a ehiem internal filter and the new tank has a fluval 460 external filter to go with it.
So my theory is that by running both together for 2 or 3 weeks, the water will stay detoxed and the new filter will colonise gradually and be able to take over after that time.
What do you think?

Run it for 6-8 weeks and don't increase the bio-load by much. Just a couple of new fish every week or so, but keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite.

Are you planning to keep both tanks running eventually?

I'd take some media out of the old filter and place it into the new one, and run it with a fishless cycle to fully cycle. Running both filters on the tank will take about 2 months to get any appreciable bacteria in the new filter. It would be easier just to seed the new filter with the old filter media and a bit of MULM from the old filter as well.

You could fully cycle the new tank in about a month and have a more robust bacteria colony in that tank. You'd still want to slowly stock it, but you could be a bit more confident in it standing up to the bioload.

Thanks,
I'll be dismantling the old tank once I'm able to transfer the fish.
I'm being a bit impatient, in wanting to get the new tank running and the old tank out of the way more quickly! (Planning decorating one corner, setting up new tank there, then finishing decorating when I can dismantle old tank!)
Therefore, I don't mind running both filters as long as necessary, rather than having both tanks around for longer than I really need to!
If this method its not advisable, I can delay finishing the decorating ;-) I do value my fish (tank) health.
I currently have a 170 litre tank that's not overstocked, moving into a 350 litre so dilutions will be greater.

In that case, I'd just move ALL the media over to the new filter just after I move all the fish over. Let the filter run with that bioload for about 2 weeks (maintaining double zeros), then you can add more fish. There is really no reason to run both filters, if you don't want to keep the old tank. Just run the old media in the new filter. It doesn't matter HOW you fit it in, just get it in there, and don't let it clog up the flow.

Once the tank has been up and running for about 6 weeks, you can slowly start to replace the old media if you want. Just take out about 1/3 of the material at a time or less and you shouldn't have a problem.

Great, that sounds even easier!
I hadn't considered that the media could be interchanged between the different style filters! Now I've read the fluvall instructions, it seems that that will be easier than I'd expected, as it has baskets in which you can place whichever media you prefer.
Feeling more prepared for the changeover now, thanks.

Externals are good like that. ;-) Go for it. The new tank will be instantly cycled for your current bioload. Take your time adding fish, still as the tank will still be immature.

Be sure to move as many of the elements of the old tank over as possible - these items will have a beneficial biofilm and that can help to mature the tank a bit quicker.

Putting new gravel in the new tank, but will be transferring bog woods, rocks and the plants that my silver dollars haven't eaten + some plastic plants - needs must with said silver dollars!
I'll resist the temptation to clean all ornamentation during the move and will use as much of the old water as practical.
I don't intend adding more fish - got the bigger tank for the current occupants to grow into, since recently adding 3 more small silver dollars to the 2 Ive had for maybe a year.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back