Toys R Us Play Sand Warning!

Wills

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Supporting Member ⭐
Joined
Jun 15, 2009
Messages
10,983
Reaction score
4,798
Points
113
Location
East Yorks
I have just been washing my new sand for the my new tank. It was bought from Toys R Us and is from the brand Tarmac, we started to wash it and it started to sud up and it smelt of detergent we rinsed it repeatedly for the best part of 2 hours and it still bubbled and fizzed and still smelled of detergent. I ditched it because I really did not trust it.

Interested to hear other peoples experiences.

On the good side our hands smell lovely now :)

Wills
 
might be worth sending it back to toysrus, I think they may have spilt detergent in it in the warehouse, I've never had problems, from numerous batches, take them a sample.
 
Good point actually. Ive binned it now and cant be bothered with the hassle just going to cave and get sand from LFS its not that I dont trust you guys but I know now after this issue I would worry constantly so it is worth the extra ££s for me personally.

Though saying that I just looked at the bag and they are totaly sealed. So not sure how it would have seeped in?

What brand is your sand? Is it Tarmac or different one?
 
Good point actually. Ive binned it now and cant be bothered with the hassle just going to cave and get sand from LFS its not that I dont trust you guys but I know now after this issue I would worry constantly so it is worth the extra ££s for me personally.

Though saying that I just looked at the bag and they are totaly sealed. So not sure how it would have seeped in?

What brand is your sand? Is it Tarmac or different one?
Better Be Safe Then sorry

Also

It could of been a factory mistake?
Or it leaked in or seomthing? I would'nt know..
 
wierd i use toys r us playsand and i dont even wash it oh well strange
 
I just bought toys r us sand today £4.99 for 25kg sounded good to me, I have poured some out into a glass and added water, i have no bubbles or detergent smell, also must add no dust floating in the water like argos sand and its a nice colour, just a pink hint to it:)
oh yeah and mine is by Tarmac too, where did you buy from?
 
LOL mini-matt your avater :hyper:

And ummm Just out of curiosty How do you clean sand :blink:

Or do you just dunk it in and wait o.O
 
i got worried and im now hoping as i brought 6 bags today :sick:


and its the fact you dont need to wash it is why i use it
 
LOL mini-matt your avater :hyper:

And ummm Just out of curiosty How do you clean sand :blink:

Or do you just dunk it in and wait o.O

lol thanks, have seen it before and laughed, my avitar was too big and wouldn't work so just did that! lol

i think the common method it to put it in a bucket in the bath and run water into the bucket for about half an hour! theory is all the dust floats and runs off. toys r us sand is
carefully washed, dried and sieved
 
LOL mini-matt your avater :hyper:

And ummm Just out of curiosty How do you clean sand :blink:

Or do you just dunk it in and wait o.O

lol thanks, have seen it before and laughed, my avitar was too big and wouldn't work so just did that! lol

i think the common method it to put it in a bucket in the bath and run water into the bucket for about half an hour! theory is all the dust floats and runs off. toys r us sand is
carefully washed, dried and sieved
Might have sand in my new tank

CANT wait to Clean it! :D
 
Good point actually. Ive binned it now and cant be bothered with the hassle just going to cave and get sand from LFS its not that I dont trust you guys but I know now after this issue I would worry constantly so it is worth the extra ££s for me personally.

Though saying that I just looked at the bag and they are totaly sealed. So not sure how it would have seeped in?

What brand is your sand? Is it Tarmac or different one?

Before you spend the big bucks for LFS sand, try Lowes or Home Depot. I got mine from Lowes not to long ago and had zero problems. It has a couple of very small "twigs" in it but as soon as the water hit the sand for the rinse they floated up and out of the rinse bucket. Sand been in the tank now for about a week no problems.
 
Good point actually. Ive binned it now and cant be bothered with the hassle just going to cave and get sand from LFS its not that I dont trust you guys but I know now after this issue I would worry constantly so it is worth the extra ££s for me personally.

Though saying that I just looked at the bag and they are totaly sealed. So not sure how it would have seeped in?

What brand is your sand? Is it Tarmac or different one?
I used Argos playsand in 2 of my tanks. Been there for 3 months with no problems or adverse effects on fish. Needed a few initial rinses to get rid of traces of fine clay before use, other than that no problems and fairly easy to keep clean
 

Most reactions

Back
Top