Torn Tail or Fin Rot ?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

KevinZ

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just noticed it today. Anything to concern about ? Behavior including ( Schooling, Active Swimming, Only want to Eat Pellet doesnt Touch Bloodworm unlike other Danio)

Tank Status :
55 Gallon
PH 6.7
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrate 5 ppm
Soft - Moderate Hardness

Tankmates. :
2 Cobra Guppy
7 Long-Fin Danio
14 Neon Tetra
2 Upside down Catfish / Featherfin (still can't identify)

Ill try to get some Focused Pict but when i get close all of them think i will feed them and rush to the top. I dont have Camera ATM.

Attachments

• IMG_20200602_102625.jpg
    IMG_20200602_102625.jpg
    838.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20200602_103019.jpg
    IMG_20200602_103019.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20200602_103131.jpg
    IMG_20200602_103131.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20200602_103108.jpg
    IMG_20200602_103108.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
My danios nip alot and it is most likely just a torn tail from nipping. Is it a male or female that has the torn tail? What is your male to female ratio because this could become a problem?

Idk how to sex Danio, But this is the first time they done this. They have been in the same tank almost 1 year. Do you think it will regrow and Heal up ?

Idk how to sex Danio, But this is the first time they done this. They have been in the same tank almost 1 year. Do you think it will regrow and Heal up ?
If you keep the water clean it should heal fine. Watch them closely to see if any are chasing each other and nipping

The fat ones are the females and the smaller ones are males. Females will have a plump belly after feeding. You should have more males than females and it is most likely a male danio that has a torn tail and is fighting with other male danios for the females.

Male danios are smaller and females are bigger and more plump.

That one Danios tale looks like it just got ripped/nipped. Preform daily water changes of at least 40% for 1 week, until things improve.

My neon tetra’s tail is gone, there is only like one little string of tail on him, he is the only male in the group. His tank mates:
3 cherry barbs
2 other neon tetras
2 cardinal tetras
3 black neon tetras
Are his tank mates nipping or is it tail rot?
Idk what’s happening.

Attachments

• 5CE76401-B9F5-41B5-BE66-0159D1791076.jpeg
    5CE76401-B9F5-41B5-BE66-0159D1791076.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 69
My neon tetra’s tail is gone, there is only like one little string of tail on him, he is the only male in the group. His tank mates:
The fact the fish is hiding would suggest it is sick or stressed. Its nose is a bit pale and that could indicate a health issue.

Try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.
If you do a water change while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank.
That level of salt is fine for all fish, shrimp, snails, filter bacteria and plants.

If the fish get worse, post more pictures.

The fact the fish is hiding would suggest it is sick or stressed. Its nose is a bit pale and that could indicate a health issue.

Try doing a 75% water change and gravel cleaning the substrate.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Add 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt, sea salt, or swimming pool salt for every 20 litres (5 gallons) of tank water. Keep the salt in the tank for 2 weeks.
If you do a water change while using salt, add salt to the new water before adding it to the tank.
That level of salt is fine for all fish, shrimp, snails, filter bacteria and plants.

If the fish get worse, post more pictures.
Thank you, I will try your suggestion dr. Aquarium

I would say it's a bacterial infection if it's disappearing that quickly. The fish is also looking skinny and the red and blue line appear faded.

You can try a broad spectrum fish medication that treats bacteria, fungus and protozoan infections. However, it might need anti-biotics. Chances are if the fish is deteriorating this quickly it will be dead before you can get medication.

I might be best to euthanise that fish and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Clean the filter too and wipe the inside of the glass down.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back