Torn Fin

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cupofjoel

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My betta seems to have a perforated tear along his bottom fin. I see small bits of his tail floating in the water. There is nothing sharp in the tank to tear his fins on. I don't think it's fin rot because there are other tankmates in there and they all seem fine and they all have been there together from the start. Any thoughts?

Was he attacked by one of the other fish? What fish are in the tank with him. (Betta are best left alone in their own tank) How big is the tank he is in?

There are four female bettas in there with him. It's a 75 gallon with plenty of hiding places.

Also, I've noticed him being more inactive. He's just hovering near the surface of the water when he usually chases the females and will move around like he owns the place. He also didn't seem interested in eating when it was lunch time.

Hold on I just saw one of the larger of the females chasing the MALE! Is that even right? I thought males were the dominant ones!

Females can also be aggressive. Remove him before she kills him.

I just removed him. I feel so bad. I always thought males were the dominant one and really was for the past couple of months!

Oh boy, my friend you have major issues with your stocking! Female bettas should never be kept in the same tank with a male except for breeding and then only for a short time. You need to move the male or the females, They will kill each other. The females can be kept together in another tank.

Oh boy, my friend you have major issues with your stocking! Female bettas should never be kept in the same tank with a male except for breeding and then only for a short time. You need to move the male or the females, They will kill each other. The females can be kept together in another tank.

Yeah, I didn't know. This is my first time caring for Bettas and only went with my own knowledge that males are the most aggressive and dominant, even over females. It's strange because he was dominant for a long time until recently. Maybe the females grew bigger and that changed the dynamics?

As @Retired Viking says males shouldn't be kept with females, they can and will kill the females if they decide to. It is also potentially possible that the largest female is also a male. In the wild they come together to breed then the female leaves before the male can attack. Females can also be aggressive and you need to keep an eye on your group in case this female continues the aggression towards the others. She may have decided to attack because she felt he wasn't a suitable partner for breeding and was trying to drive him away .

With Betta it is only a matter of time, they have a type A personality even the females. People will keep a group of females together they refer to it as a sorority so they should be fine but keep an eye on them to make sure. Make sure to keep the males water clean so he does not have an infection or fin rot.

Here is a breeder box.

Attachments

• GEDC1270.JPG
    GEDC1270.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 45

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back