Top 5 beginner fish keeping mistakes

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Summing this up for those that don't want to watch it.

Don't chase the pH, GH and KH.
If you have water with a high pH, try to keep fish that occur in that water.
If you have a low pH, try to keep fish that come from acid water.

Don't overfeed the fish.
More problems occur from too much food than too little food.

Cycle your tank before getting fish.
The video presenter suggests a minimum of 2 weeks but tanks can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to cycle the filter, and sometimes even longer. Adding filter bacterial supplements can help speed things up.

Disease.
Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality, so maintaining a healthy clean environment is essential for the fish.
Try to quarantine new fish before adding them to an established display tank.

Tank size.
Get a reasonable size tank to begin with and leave the 1 and 2 gallon tanks to collect dust on the shop shelves. The video presenter recommends a minimum size tank of 10 gallons and that is a good size to start with. A tank that is 2 foot or longer gives you more water volume, and water quality problems don't develop as quickly in larger volumes of water.

All in all, it's not a bad video. Whoever did the editing cut out a few words but the main parts are good.

Don't overfeed the fish.

The video presenter suggests a minimum of 2 weeks but tanks can take anywhere from 3-8 weeks to cycle the filter, and sometimes even longer. Adding filter bacterial supplements can help speed things up.

Disease.
Most fish health issues are caused by poor water quality, so maintaining a healthy clean environment is essential for the fish.

Tank size.
Get a reasonable size tank to begin with and leave the 1 and 2 gallon tanks to collect dust on the shop shelves. The video presenter recommends a minimum size tank of 10 gallons and that is a good size to start with. A tank that is 2 foot or longer gives you more water volume, and water quality problems don't develop as quickly in larger volumes of water.

All in all, it's not a bad video. Whoever did the editing cut out a few words but the main parts are good.
Applause Colin !!! Wanted to add the tanksize hahaha, but realised you'd allready covered that. The bigger the easier !

Me neither to be honest. I think trash panda means raccoon and Anon Fox is trying to say that the world sees Americans as trash? I genuinely do not know.
nvmnvm
(I'm American BTW, and I don't think I'd ever call America a bad contry, I think every country has a stereotype that makes them seem worse than they are. This topic is getting so off-topic for someone making a joke, no offense.)

If @Down Stream was not from America, @Colin_T probably wouldn't have mentioned what country he's in, because according to non-Americans, we're the trash pandas/raccoons of the world.
(although I take that as a compliment because Raccoons are smarter than Pandas)
Ohhhhhhh......I love everyone from everywhere 😜 I don't think you guys are raccoons, there's many things you guys are better at that us Brits....like dental hygiene 🤣

Don't overfeed the fish.

Disease.

Tank size.

Thanks Colin! I’ve had one too many videos today. 👍👍👍

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back