Too warm for Panda corydoras?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Jeremy180

Fishaholic
Reaction score
OK, because of the ambient temperature in the house, I Can't run my tank any lower than 78°F, or about 24.5°C, for the hottest four or five months of the year.

For about three months, the house cools enough to run it as low as 73°F, approximately 23°C

Would this be cool enough to suit Panda corydoras?

If not, are there any species similar size or (preferably) smaller that would enjoy this temperature?

I like pygmies, but others in the house would like something with a more striking pattern.

Almost forgot, hardness is about 6 degrees KH, and PH is 8.3, nearest I can guess from API color chart.

No cycle yet, so Ph may go down.

24C is fine for Corydoras.

I set my heaters on 18C and that was as cool as the water got in winter. Then in summer the water got up to 30C+ and sat there for 3 or 4 months before coming back down.

As long as the temperature isn't high (above 26C) for extended periods of time (eg: 6 months), the fish will be fine with warmer water for a bit. And 24C is fine for Corydoras, it's not an issue.

-----------------------
A pH of 8.3 is fine for captive bred Corydoras but wild caught fish want a pH closer to 7.0 or a bit below 7.0.

A KH of 6 dGH (110ppm) is fine.

What is the general hardness (GH)?
A GH below 250ppm is fine for captive bred Corydoras and if you have wild caught fish keep the GH below 200ppm and preferably below 150ppm.

Don't have a general hardness test kit, but I checked my supplier's water report quality and putting thier highest detected ppm of calcium and magnesium in the calculator here,
https://www.lenntech.com/ro/water-hardness.htm
Gave me 42.5 ppm of hardness as CaCo3, or 2.35 degrees German Hardness.

This is stated as either slightly hard or moderately soft water, depending on which website I reference.
Since my PH tends to be fairly stable, I suspect an additive to raise PH to 8.5, especially since the lowest PH detected for the year was 6.8
Do you think it would be too much to add some decorative shells rated as aquarium safe to further stabilize the PH?

My sister already has purchased them for the Aquarium, and I know the guppies She wants definitely wouldn't complain!

Don't have a general hardness test kit, but I checked my supplier's water report quality and putting thier highest detected ppm of calcium and magnesium in the calculator here,
https://www.lenntech.com/ro/water-hardness.htm
Gave me 42.5 ppm of hardness as CaCo3, or 2.35 degrees German Hardness.

This is stated as either slightly hard or moderately soft water, depending on which website I reference.

I have no experience with that converter, so will leave that aside. If the GH is accurately 42 ppm (= 2.3 dGH) then it is very soft water, not "moderately soft" or "slightly hard." Mind you, these are subjective terms that can mean different things depending who uses them, but the numbers are without question very soft water. Cories will have no issues with this aspect.

Since my PH tends to be fairly stable, I suspect an additive to raise PH to 8.5, especially since the lowest PH detected for the year was 6.8

I would confirm this with your water authority, as it does seem likely something is being added. I have that here, sodium ash is used which dissipates out and my pH is in the 5's or 6's depending upon the tank. Fine for soft water species. Which brings me to the guppies...no. They will not be happy in such soft water, and while they may survive, they also may not, and they will not be in good health if they do survive.

Do you think it would be too much to add some decorative shells rated as aquarium safe to further stabilize the PH?

No. First off, you need to confirm the GH, and figure out the pH issue. Then, go with fish that are suited to the parameters. There is no point in making life more difficult for soft water fish just to have some harder water fish in the tank. No one (thinking the fish) will be happy, and this makes their lives much harder which should not be our intent.

On the temperature issue, I agree that non-permanent temperature increases are usually manageable by fish. Corydoras panda is one of the cooler water species, coming from mountain streams in Peru. I have mine at 24.5 C year-round, sometimes during heat waves in summer a few degrees higher or lower (heaters are disconnected during warm months so temperature varies diurnally). This has been the case for 10 years so far with this species. They are in with a mix of cory species and I suspect have cross-spawned as well.

You mention pygmy cory...these are more delicate even than the larger species tend to be, and temperature is crucial. My 10g of Corydoras pygmaeus runs at 24C (75 F) and this is as high as you should have it for these cories. And they must have sand.

Last edited:
OK, pandas sound like a go to me.

Sister will not be happy to hear about the guppies, though.

Perhaps you can take a look at the report?
Some of the numbers given are a bit over my head, I'm afraid.
Maybe you can get more from the information given than I did.
(PDF document)
https://www.mawss.com/uploads/file_library/water-quality-report-2017.pdf

The calcium carbonate (CaCO3) is the general or total hardness, and it is given as 36.2 to 42.6 ppm range, so that is very soft. This equates to around 2 dGH. No livebearer (guppies, molly, platy, swordtail) can be healthy in water this soft, they need at least around 10 dGH (179 ppm) for all but mollies that need much higher, and all will be better in harder water than even this. Some cories can manage in this harder water, but when it is not necessary, they should not be subjected to it, as it does affect their physiology and they will not be as healthy long-term (depending upon species, some will not last at all).

The calcium carbonate (CaCO3) is the general or total hardness, and it is given as 36.2 to 42.6 ppm range, so that is very soft. This equates to around 2 dGH. No livebearer (guppies, molly, platy, swordtail) can be healthy in water this soft, they need at least around 10 dGH (179 ppm) for all but mollies that need much higher, and all will be better in harder water than even this. Some cories can manage in this harder water, but when it is not necessary, they should not be subjected to it, as it does affect their physiology and they will not be as healthy long-term (depending upon species, some will not last at all).
Okay Thank you very much!
Little ister will be disappointed to hear about the incompatibility with the guppies, But I think she would be much more disappointed if we had gotten them and, in the best case scenario, constantly struggled to keep them alive.
:thanks:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back