Too Much Lr?

demasonisrule

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was at my lfs today, just looking around, not planning to buy anything, and I got to their big tank that they keep the cured live rock in. It was just live rock, sand, and a few hermits. I thought it looked awesome, and the whole idea of having the hole tank being caves and crevices seemed awesome to me. I was wondering if it is possible to put too much lr in there? The biggest problem I can see with it is blocking the flow, but with strategic rock placement and powerhead placement, I think it might be possible to keep adequate flow. This will be my first saltwater tank so any "its possible, but will be very difficult"s mean that it is probably out of the question for me.

I wouldn't suggest putting THAT much LR in a tank. The dead spots could cause you quite a bit of trouble.

It would be handy if you could take a picture of the tank in question on your phone and upload it on here, to give us some idea of the size tank and how much rock you are talking about.

However, if they've done it at the LFS then its obviously not impossible to do. Yes, you are right that having a large quantity of live rock does restrict the flow and can create deadspots as Nemo rightly mentions but, with consideration as where to place the powerheads, its certainly achievable. Its essentially just that, a sufficient amount of powerheads of the required flow rating and of course, where you locate them.

I used to conceal powerheads within the rock piles to ensure good flow around them, as well as having powerheads mounted on the tank, directed at them. I love caves too and have created one in my nano tank (there's actually even more rock in there now). Flow is always a consideration, but you can check this by disturbing the sand around the rocks to let the dust/muck get drawn into the current. If the particles just hang in suspension, then you have deadspots that require more flow. If the particles are moving freely then you probably have sufficient flow.

With a bit of planning and creative aquascaping, you could have your dream tank lol.

All the deadspot bit has been pretty much covered. Only thing I would add to that conversation is that a closed loop system could be much better for getting flow directed into the rock work than powerheads as you can build the rock work around the output pipes.

The only other thing I would say you need to consider is the livestock. Some fish would be extremely happy in a tank like this while others much prefer larger open areas. If you do your research though it could be a really cool tank.

One other thing I would say is make sure your rock is not right up on the glass and that you leave enough space around all visible sides of the tank to run a mag float over it.

I was considering using a filter that has 100 gph, since I have a 10 gallon, but I could add another powerhead that is just lying around that is 80 gph that would be to compensate for some of the deadspots, although I doubt all of them. Since I was planning just a couple of small gobies, I don't think that all of the caves and crevices would be a problem. Also, the lfs doesn't let people take pictures in their store, no matter what, but but there was probably 5-6 inches of open water at the top, and it was about 30 gallons I want to say. When I said big tank, I meant their other tank with even more lr that is filled to the top. It is probably a 100 gallon with 20 gallons of water in it lol. Thank you for the responses.

Ak77, I really like your tank thanks for the link. I think that I will go for a lot of small pieces of lr instead of a few bigger pieces in my tank. Gosh, I have been wanting a saltwater tank for so long, but my mom thinks that I am going way over the top with my 3 tanks now lol.

my mum thinks the same as yours LoL my mum thinks that 3 tanks is over the top as well. i love akk77 LR colours

my mum thinks the same as yours LoL my mum thinks that 3 tanks is over the top as well.

Yeah...And being 13 I don't get much say in really anything :sad: . That means if I don't get a new tank for the holidays(I won't), than I will either have tear down my freshwater community(which I love), or tear down my crayfish tank(which I love), so I may have to wait awhile to get the nano going.

yeah i had to shut down my small tank to get my marine tank. i am also runing out of space in my room. LoL also if i want to upgrade i will have to sell my 2 tropical tanks :grr:

I talked to my dad today, and he doesn't want me to tear Down any of my current tanks, so for now, this tank is just a fantasy...Anyways, has anyone had any experiences with something like this? If so, how did it work out?

were are your tanks?
were was your tank going to go? you could buy a small tank like a orca tl 450 its very small 58L but it comes with a skimmer,uv,leds,heater and some over stuff. or you can if you have the space the orca tl550 128L

My ten gallon community which I was planning to take down and make into this fantasy tank is in our living room, where there is little to no activity. My 55 gallon cichlid tank and my crayfish tank are both in my room. I'm afraid that atm, there is just no way to get at this tank, but no reason to not plan and think ahead :hey:. Anyways, since my crayfish is starting to get oldish (probably 2.5 years-they usually are around 3), maybe that is a hope. I don't actually like him too much...

ok thanks. why dont you buy a new tank when the cray fish dies because then you could put a bigger tank there insted so you can have more LR more fish and coral :good: also when the cray fish gos you shut the tank down and put it in the shed or something like that. thats what i did when by gold fish died. I have transferd all my livestock in my small tank and put it in my big tank so now i have 1 tank running. but soon 2 because i brought a juwel rio 125 for a marine tank.

Ok, once jacques (the crayfish) dies, I will probably either use that as this tank, or I will get a bigger tank there instead (hopefully 20-30 gallons).

Good news on this tank! We were at our lfs picking up some brine shrimp, and my dad saw a 36 gallon bow-front. It was love at first sight, and hopefully when my dad gets his bonus in February, we'll bring it home. Anyways, I think that I'll still have more lr than usual, but not too extreme.

i just got my live rock 15.5 kg in my 120L yesterday. its great fun im going to add more soon. when i get the money.

Most reactions

Back