Too much filtration?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If the roots get neat the intake tube they might clog it. A lot of members with floating plants make a barrier to keep them away from the filter. Airline tubing anchored to the front and back of the tank seems a popular way to do this.
The airline tubing is a great idea! I'm going to order some frogbit this week. Unfortunately, I only have a PetSmart as my local fish store so pretty much have to order everything from fish to plants online. Any recommendations on a good online plant shop?

Water level is up to the rim. I was hoping I could reduce the water flow but moving it from all the way open to all the way closed made no difference. I looked around online and saw that was the consensus with others that own the filter. Kinda stupid to even say you can reduce the flow when in actuality you can't. Maybe if someone can recommend another HOB that you CAN reduce the flow I would be interested in getting it.
AquaClear 70, or even an AquaClear 110, they're adjustable, and it actually works

The airline tubing is a great idea! I'm going to order some frogbit this week. Unfortunately, I only have a PetSmart as my local fish store so pretty much have to order everything from fish to plants online. Any recommendations on a good online plant shop?

Make sure your state permits frogbit. I know that some states ban certain plants which can be invasive if they get into local rivers.

Lol, the 110 is what I actually just returned. Too much water flow and couldn't adjust it ?
Oh, sorry, I thought you had bought a Tidal, for some reason....I can tell you the AC70's ARE adjustable, I have 2 of them...but never owned a 110, TBH

The AC 110 are adjustable as well. The main difference between the AC 110 and 70 is the size of the media compartment. The adjustment range isn't very large. Putting a prefilter on the 110 will slow the flow as well.

The AC 110 are adjustable as well. The main difference between the AC 110 and 70 is the size of the media compartment. The adjustment range isn't very large. Putting a prefilter on the 110 will slow the flow as well.
They are adjustable but there really isn't much of a difference between the low flow and high flow. I also tried adding a prefilter but it didn't make a huge difference.

Make sure your state permits frogbit. I know that some states ban certain plants which can be invasive if they get into local rivers.
Good to know. I'll definitely make sure they are legal first.

Just double checked and it seems California is the only state that doesn't allow it.

Just double checked and it seems California is the only state that doesn't allow it.

The US Department of Agriculture classifies Frogbit as an invasive plant. I've no idea if this carries any prohibition/penalty.

How I know this is a story. Some years back I wrote a series of aquarium plant profiles for another forum, and in the profile of Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) included photos of the blossoms on my own floating plant which had been sold to me as the tropical Frogbit. The owner of the forum received an email from an official of the US Agriculture Department who had come across the profile/photo, informing him that this was an invasive plant, illegal in some states, and aquarists should not be propagating it. I looked into the matter, and discovered there are three near-identical (in leaf form) species that can only be told apart by their flowers, and obviously my plants were one of the temperate species. I revised the profile as follows (and removed the photo!). As you can see, it is indeed very invasive.

There are other plants very similar in appearance that may be confused with Limnobium laevigatum. L. spongia is a native North American Frogbit, and Hydrocharis morsus-ranae is a European/Asian plant sometimes referred to as Common or European Frogbit. This latter is a very invasive plant that was intentionally introduced into North America via Ottawa, Canada in 1932. It has since spread quickly and by 2003 was known to occur throughout much of southeastern Ontario, southern Quebec, northern New York and Vermont and eastern Michigan. "Frogbit" is classified in several states including California and Washington as a noxious weed. It is likely that some aquarium plants are in fact not L. laevigatum but one of the other two.​

The US Department of Agriculture classifies Frogbit as an invasive plant. I've no idea if this carries any prohibition/penalty.

How I know this is a story. Some years back I wrote a series of aquarium plant profiles for another forum, and in the profile of Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) included photos of the blossoms on my own floating plant which had been sold to me as the tropical Frogbit. The owner of the forum received an email from an official of the US Agriculture Department who had come across the profile/photo, informing him that this was an invasive plant, illegal in some states, and aquarists should not be propagating it. I looked into the matter, and discovered there are three near-identical (in leaf form) species that can only be told apart by their flowers, and obviously my plants were one of the temperate species. I revised the profile as follows (and removed the photo!). As you can see, it is indeed very invasive.

There are other plants very similar in appearance that may be confused with Limnobium laevigatum. L. spongia is a native North American Frogbit, and Hydrocharis morsus-ranae is a European/Asian plant sometimes referred to as Common or European Frogbit. This latter is a very invasive plant that was intentionally introduced into North America via Ottawa, Canada in 1932. It has since spread quickly and by 2003 was known to occur throughout much of southeastern Ontario, southern Quebec, northern New York and Vermont and eastern Michigan. "Frogbit" is classified in several states including California and Washington as a noxious weed. It is likely that some aquarium plants are in fact not L. laevigatum but one of the other two.​
Thanks for the info. Fortunately it's allowed in NJ. My issue is that it's always sold out ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back