Too much Anacharis?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!
This is my 75gal that currently houses 5x Golden Dojo Loaches, 8x Albino Corydoras and 2x Albino Bristle Nose Plecos. They love the floating plants and I like them too. My question is, do I have too much floating? Is that even a thing? Is there any harm?

Thanks for being here!

Attachments

• 20240303_164118.jpg
    20240303_164118.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 34
Looks good to me 🤷‍♀️ the only time it may be an issue is if they block out too much light for the plants growing below...but its easy enough to thin out so as long as you like the look then it's all good 👍🏻

Hi!
This is my 75gal that currently houses 5x Golden Dojo Loaches, 8x Albino Corydoras and 2x Albino Bristle Nose Plecos. They love the floating plants and I like them too. My question is, do I have too much floating? Is that even a thing? Is there any harm?

Thanks for being here!
Just make sure the corys can have access to the surface. I don't know about albino's specifically, but some corys are facilitative air breathers.

Hello. No complaints from me. As long as you don't have bottom plants that need stronger lighting, let the Anacharis grow. This plant will provide filtered light, so a bottom plant like Anubias should be fine if you want something green on the bottom of the tank.

Just make sure the corys can have access to the surface. I don't know about albino's specifically, but some corys are facilitative air breathers.

Agree, while I can see why you love the look of the tank as it is (it looks wonderful! and the anacharis is clearly healthy and thriving) I'd leave at least a patch of surface area open especially for the cories when they make a run to the surface for a breath of air. Albino cories are just (a lack of) colour mutations of a specific species of Corydoras - most often ones sold in shops are albino C.aeneus (albino bronze cories) albino C.paleatus (albino peppered cories) or albino C.Sterbai (albino sterbai cories), most commonly in that order.

Hard to tell from the distance, but fairly sure from their shape, yours are albino Corydoras aeneus, but all three species listed above are all facilitative air breathers, so would likely appreciate a little bit of open space, or the anacharis thinned if it gets much denser than in the photo and starts obstructing them taking a gup of air at the surface. :)

- Just a suggestion, but a lot of people use a ring, or make a ring out of something like airline tubing - to hold back floating plants from one specific area, usually to keep that area clear for a feeding spot, and if you went for something like that, I can imagine that being useful plus looking really good if it was right in the centre, letting that circle of light beam down in the centre, since the tank is pretty symmetrical either side already! Once the cories learn that food drops from whichever area you keep clear too, they'll soon get the hang of knowing that area is clear for them to dart up to get a surface breath.

My only other concern was where the filter output is, and if it's providing enough surface disturbance for enough gas exchange - whether a plant may become dense enough to choke out the surface in a tank too much, when in nature, it's rare that a body of water is entirely coated by plants..?

But please, let someone who knows more than I do about the topic guide you in this latter question, because I'm not sure about the source I heard something like that from, and the water chemistry thing has never been my strong suit, so going to ask @Essjay and @Seisage for help. If they're aware of any potential problems with the water if the surface is completely coated by elodea or other plants, or if it's perhaps some old fishkeeping myth I'm hazily remembering, or even something to do with high tech tanks, and potentially problems with CO2 and oxygen levels rising and dipping during day and night cycles, and I'm misremembering something about that perhaps.

Agree, while I can see why you love the look of the tank as it is (it looks wonderful! and the anacharis is clearly healthy and thriving) I'd leave at least a patch of surface area open especially for the cories when they make a run to the surface for a breath of air. Albino cories are just (a lack of) colour mutations of a specific species of Corydoras - most often ones sold in shops are albino C.aeneus (albino bronze cories) albino C.paleatus (albino peppered cories) or albino C.Sterbai (albino sterbai cories), most commonly in that order.

Hard to tell from the distance, but fairly sure from their shape, yours are albino Corydoras aeneus, but all three species listed above are all facilitative air breathers, so would likely appreciate a little bit of open space, or the anacharis thinned if it gets much denser than in the photo and starts obstructing them taking a gup of air at the surface. :)

- Just a suggestion, but a lot of people use a ring, or make a ring out of something like airline tubing - to hold back floating plants from one specific area, usually to keep that area clear for a feeding spot, and if you went for something like that, I can imagine that being useful plus looking really good if it was right in the centre, letting that circle of light beam down in the centre, since the tank is pretty symmetrical either side already! Once the cories learn that food drops from whichever area you keep clear too, they'll soon get the hang of knowing that area is clear for them to dart up to get a surface breath.

My only other concern was where the filter output is, and if it's providing enough surface disturbance for enough gas exchange - whether a plant may become dense enough to choke out the surface in a tank too much, when in nature, it's rare that a body of water is entirely coated by plants..?

But please, let someone who knows more than I do about the topic guide you in this latter question, because I'm not sure about the source I heard something like that from, and the water chemistry thing has never been my strong suit, so going to ask @Essjay and @Seisage for help. If they're aware of any potential problems with the water if the surface is completely coated by elodea or other plants, or if it's perhaps some old fishkeeping myth I'm hazily remembering, or even something to do with high tech tanks, and potentially problems with CO2 and oxygen levels rising and dipping during day and night cycles, and I'm misremembering something about that perhaps.
I actually use multiple feeder rings for the purposes you've talked about here. I have salvinia minima which can easily take over the surface. I have a couple of feeder rings for food drops. I also have some so that some of my plants can get more light in addition to giving my pygmy corys and honey gourami access to the surface for air. And I have one by the filter output to allow for some surface agitation.
I used to make them out of airline tubing. But now I find it much easier to just buy them on Amazon.

I used to make them out of airline tubing. But now I find it much easier to just buy them on Amazon.

Good to know the Amazon ones are worth getting... I've had an awful new invasion of *spits* duckweed infesting one tank especially lately, and it's driving me nuts, and very good at getting over or under the airline tubing/gravel hose tubing rings I tried to DIY. I'll still try to eradicate the duckweed again (for the fourth or five time) just because I loathe it in general, but it would be good to have some clear rings of acrylic or something that do a better job of holding floating plants back from at least one spot. :)

Good to know the Amazon ones are worth getting... I've had an awful new invasion of *spits* duckweed infesting one tank especially lately, and it's driving me nuts, and very good at getting over or under the airline tubing/gravel hose tubing rings I tried to DIY. I'll still try to eradicate the duckweed again (for the fourth or five time) just because I loathe it in general, but it would be good to have some clear rings of acrylic or something that do a better job of holding floating plants back from at least one spot. :)
I had the duckweed wars myself. It took hours of sorting through salvinia and anarcharis multiple times to manage it. And to this day I still find a few pieces. Given the nature of duckweed, I don't think any feeder rings really controls it. That's one of the reasons people have such an aversion to it.

Why are you spitting out duckweed ? It’s not that bad . I prefer it to parsley .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back