Aphotic Phoenix
Fish Addict
Darn MTS!!!
I've got a 20 gallon long sitting empty on it's stand...
What I WANT is to go full out with a soft-water planted tank with apistos: i.e. high grade light system, cannister filter, enriched substrate, pressurized CO2, RO/DI, etc... but my current budget really doesn't leave me much in terms of pleasure spending / saving. Yet, this empty tank sits there teasing me with it's potential...especially considering I have a cheap spare hood, and could easily switch-out one of my HoB's (which would be over-rated for the tank, and is on the main as a back-up) for an insta-cycled tank.
It would be a shell-dweller setup, thus I'd just need: heater, substrate, shells (plus a replacement for the stolen back-up filter)...and of course: fish! Much smaller pricetag obviously, but then I wouldn't get to experiment with the pleasures of aquatic gardening.
Or I could still go with the apisto option, but go with species that are more tolerant of harder water. (My main tank is already using altered water chemistry so I have experience with maintaining that) Go with fake plants, simple substrate, and upgrade things later. Unfortunately that's such a mess to do, and is the main reason I don't upgrade the main tank I have now.
So conflicted! Any thoughts or opinions?
I've got a 20 gallon long sitting empty on it's stand...
What I WANT is to go full out with a soft-water planted tank with apistos: i.e. high grade light system, cannister filter, enriched substrate, pressurized CO2, RO/DI, etc... but my current budget really doesn't leave me much in terms of pleasure spending / saving. Yet, this empty tank sits there teasing me with it's potential...especially considering I have a cheap spare hood, and could easily switch-out one of my HoB's (which would be over-rated for the tank, and is on the main as a back-up) for an insta-cycled tank.
It would be a shell-dweller setup, thus I'd just need: heater, substrate, shells (plus a replacement for the stolen back-up filter)...and of course: fish! Much smaller pricetag obviously, but then I wouldn't get to experiment with the pleasures of aquatic gardening.
Or I could still go with the apisto option, but go with species that are more tolerant of harder water. (My main tank is already using altered water chemistry so I have experience with maintaining that) Go with fake plants, simple substrate, and upgrade things later. Unfortunately that's such a mess to do, and is the main reason I don't upgrade the main tank I have now.
So conflicted! Any thoughts or opinions?







