Toms 240l Planted Journal

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

basically i got a new job at a fish shop and they have great discus and obviously i get a bit of a discount

if they do breed then i will get another bare tank to raise them in

The tank has a great deal of potential and I am very impressed that you opted for lower light and pressurized CO2. That's thinking smart!

One thing I do not get. You went through the whole process of a fishless cycle only to add fish two months later, after you completed it. When you get your plants, probably will before you get the fish, it will negate the benefit of a fishless cycle in the first place as any beneficial bacteria is going to starve unless you add more ammonia, and any extra ammonia that you add will be heartily consumed by the plants. I don't know, to me that just seemed like a waste of time. I have not cycled a tank in years. If you plant densly from the onset, add your bioload gradually (over the first couple of months of a tank's life), and do regular waterchanges, the plants will consume any ammonia produced by the fish.

I get fishless cycling for non-planted and will often recommend it, but I just don't see the point for planted tanks. Maybe I am missing something.

Look forward to seeing this tank continue to develop.

llj

Most reactions

Back