To Name Or Not To Name That Is The Question ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

to name or not to name that is the Question ?

• yes my fish have names so Y not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i dont know

• no naming fish are evil

• yes if the name sute the fish

• no

• yes

• Total voters
Names....

My daughter names everything, so of course the fish get names.

Right now we have:

Zack and Cody, two male guppies.

Gary, a Pearl Snail.

We're getting ready to set up a 50 gallon. I hope my daughter is going to be prepared!

RIP, Captain Jack, the red betta.

My neons are called The People's Front of Judea - because they kept trying to commit mass suicide while I was acclimatising them! Stupid fish - lol!
I love it!!!!!
Some of my fish have names (the more distinctive ones), but they are all stupid names like black, eely, goldy and bristle.....

LOL! I name everything! Even my fish. I had a mischevious, Mr. Bubbles, Taper, Phantom, Mei and Kor etc...

Currently, i have Othello and Dezzi (Dezdemona) named after the two characters in Othello, which I saw at the Globe in London this summer. And I have Rascal, because i saw the Rascal Flatts concert this summer too. Usually, i name them after something that is prevalent in my life right now. Like Taper is a term for lowering yardage in swimming, and when i got him, we were "tapering".

Oh Heck, i even named my little knitted octopus "Notte" which means Night in Italian.

My two goldfish are called duck and dive because duck stays at the surface and dive goes to the bottom, I cant name 7 adult guppies and 40 babies.

haha i though this too.... but
the trick is look at the fish careully check for illnesses or other problem...
then get it home... watch its persnality for a while and pick a name based on that!

All of my shrimp are called Bob (no reason, hubbie's idea!).
All the cories are called Cory (very original, huh?).
The only fish that has a 'proper' name is the male honey gourami, Randy, because he flirts with the girls a lot!
I can't tell the cories, neons or barbs apart, so naming them would be a bit pointless.

My neons are called The People's Front of Judea - because they kept trying to commit mass suicide while I was acclimatising them! Stupid fish - lol!

Great name :good:

Thanks to Monty Python I named all my Shrimp Bruce, well apart from the female ones, they are called Sheila.

The Betta is called Russell, after the Russell Crowe episode of South Park - cos he loves to fight.

I used to have a Cory who only had 1 eye so named him after the dead pirate in The Goonies... One Eyed Willy.

Until i wrote them down I never realised i had named them all after things i've seen on TV :lol:

My children name the fish that are easy to distinguish, like the platys and guppies, but others don't have names. I'm not sure if it's a great idea though as it seems to add to the grief when one dies. We lost Francesca the platy this morning, and my 7 year old was distraught :(

My last two tanks had 3 x Oscars Bob, Babs and Bert (Bert was removed as Bob and Babs paired up) In the tank I had a Lima shovelnose called Dug and a common plec called Foster and a large Gibbiceps pleco called Grolsh. In the other tank I had two pair'd up Jaguar Cichlids called Harry and Mable. So I think that when I get my new tank, Im sure the occupants will be named as well. :hyper:

I am a firm believer if you name your fish it will die :angry: but I name them anyway. Every fish i have named Bob or George has died, so all the feeder guppies are named that.

The two rope fish: Mr. Wiggles and Mr. Sidewinder

Then the Plecos: OF, Nes, Quik

The chinese algea eaters: Pow, Der

Snails: Snailzor, Snailzer

Beta Fish (male): Loser

Tetras: Jim(s) approx 6-7 jims

The two glass catfish arnt named yet though...

My male mosquito fish is Bottom Feeder, my female mosquito fish is Bubbles, and my male guppy is Dylan! Oh BTW, clickthe eggs and dragon on my signature!

I have too many fish to name them all but I name the special ones i can tell apart. I won't bore you with them all, just the bettas:

Valhalla - pink VT male - viking for Warrior Heaven
Heatstroke - red marble VT male
Password - marble CT male
Spider - red and blue CT male
Moonshine - silver CT male - named because you can get drunk on looking at him, he's so shiny!

Most reactions

Back