To Name Or Not To Name That Is The Question ?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

to name or not to name that is the Question ?

• yes my fish have names so Y not

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • i dont know

• no naming fish are evil

• yes if the name sute the fish

• no

• yes

• Total voters

Shedeivl

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

I had fish i know that this is not the reason for there death but i just cant help but see the inory

my fish where going well untill i went to a fish shop with a list of names i had picked out and i just want to find fish that suted the names lol and anway after i got the fish the guy there tells me that everyfish he has ever named died and the one he did not name lived long and happy live affter telling me this my fish started to die now i know that naming them was not the only reason for them dying but u have to see the inory anyway now all the other reason r taken care of and i have new fish that r healthy i want to know what is everyone opion
to name or not to name that is the Question ?
:unsure: :nod: :no: -_- :( :/

I don't name the fish in my main tank for that exact superstitious reason. Plus...it's too hard to tell my rasboras apart. I did name my betta however.

yep i named my betta Bartimaeus he was my frist fish but he was one of the ones that died so i'm going to get another betta that rases another Q though can u name new fish the same name as the old ?

sometimes i do, but usually only if they are one of a kind or have a defect like my neon with a missing gill plate.

I call my mussel mumble (my husband named it)
and my snail gobble (because he eats all my aquarium plants grrrr :angry: )

i have a snale it the onlt thing i have left from the orignal aqurarim it's called shellickabooge meaning snail in gaylick

my oldest fish now has a name, but when i first got fish, i had a little terror group that killed them all.. and i thought it was happening because i named them! so i stopped naming them. but now i think its alright since i know what i did wrong :)

You could name distinctive fish on one of a kind fish if you have one, like a betta. But anything in a school I don’t see a point.

My 8 tetras are collectively known as “Steveâ€￾ how ever. :big_boss:

I don't really name my fish but my kids do :) We have only named a few though. The guppies are Firetail, Skytail, Midnighttail, the goldfish are Diego, Yoda, and Ariel, the dojo loach is Mojo Jojo. The rest live peacefully in anonimouty (sp.) :D

My 8 tetras are collectively known as “Steveâ€￾ how ever. :big_boss:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

i got names for some of them:

Bristle nose plec = "The grumpus" just because he is a grumpy old fish :lol: :nod:
bolivian ram = "pretty" just because he is pretty
cockatoo dwarf cichlid = "eddy" just kind of came about?

like most i dont bother naming tetras and what not

i have named my 6 bettas, female guppy and amano shrimp, would be too hard to name the neons as they all look the same

when i name fish i try to find uniqic names fell free to pinch one for ur fish

my last lot of names came from my friends and my friends Anita was the main person to come up with names i think this is because she has read heeps of books as I said b4 my betta wass called Bartimaeus pronounced bart- e- may- us then my sward tail was Queezle these where both from the books we where reading at the time

then there was Artemis yet another book he way a black guppie Anyo Enyo Nyo where all guppes blue, red, yellow this was because at that time i thought guppies where cleaning fish and there use to b a cleaning product called Enyo and the song on the add went enyo enyo enyo a cleaning we will go but i thought if there going to have the same name it has to b spelt diffrent

Akira was a molly but i had to give her way as my betta hated her Ririh pronuced Ri Ri was my shark my little sis 10yrs came up with that name
prince garfield was a baby bn as bn r cat fish so hance garfield but we also had a another fish called princess so hance prince as well i dont rember the type of fish princess was

My neons are called The People's Front of Judea - because they kept trying to commit mass suicide while I was acclimatising them! Stupid fish - lol!

All my fish have got names (even the shrimps! lol). 3 of my first 4 are called big fish, little fish and cardboard box! I know - I'm a loser! lol. And people do look at me like I'm thick when I tell them I have a fish called 'Big Fish'! :( lol

I started out a few years ago naming my first betta and a few other fish after that. Then I stopped. I get so attached to them that having a name made it harder to say good-bye altthough they all get called by their species Mr. Betta or Betta, mollymale, oops, I guess I do sort of name them. And of course, I call them all kinds of mushy affectionate names which I'm embarrassed to post!

I just try to enjoy them anyhow...Good question. thanks. :good: :good:
-Wendy

it was my 20th b'day yesterday so affter all the lovley thought on this topic and as now my fish have been alive for a month I thought Y not name them so now i'm just trying to find the right names

Most reactions

Back