to breed or not to breed

mostanks

Fish Addict
Reaction score
ok-my gt won't let my carpenti out much so i'm looking to give'em away soon but i'd like to have another cichlid.
my tank is 90g and pretty overstocked w/targets and some oddballs (ropefish,birchir,g.danios and silver dollars)i'd like to keep 2 cichlids in the tank but i'm worried that my gt might kill anything else i put in.which brings me to my first question-
will a breeding pair of green terrors kill my non-cichlid tankmates?if so would adding a cichlid bigger than him be a better option?

oh!! the carpenti is alot smaller than my gt

carpenti=5"s gt close 9"s

keep the carpenti and move the gt out, thats what i would do.

:-( no way :sick: i can't do that he's the center piece,i only got the carpenti coz i didn't want 1 cichlid in a "cichlid tank".

:wub: gt is my buddy nope we're gonna have to come up w/something else. :D

Well,
Here finally is mytake on this subject. GT can get very aggressive when spawning, and since I am to understand that is the fish you are keeping, I will also assume that is the fish you were considering breeding.

Not a bad idea, BUT expect your other fish to be tormented during the spawning!!!

My suggestion is GET A BIGGER BULLY!!!!!!!!!lol

A midas would be nice!!

CM

pardon me for asking but.why do peeps want a bully in a tank??? am i missing something? i like my tanks of fish to live in harmony with each other. :unsure:

B) wotfish-what i meant by "bigger bully"was a fish bigger than my gt so that he doesn't jump on him as soon as i drop him in tank.if i didn't care if my fish got along i would not have posted this question :thumbs: .

CM-this is a 90g,do you still think a midas would work?

darnit-i knew that came out wrong

sorry wotfish you said nothing to offend me,for some reason i always sound offended :unsure:
*must use more smilies* :D :thumbs: :fun: :fun: :hyper:

Sure do Most......

I had a 14" midas in a 50 gallon breeder all by his lonesome and he was fine.

A 90 would be just fine........

CM

ok-you got a mdas for sale???striped??and 8+"s???and can cook?? :p

in you opinion,do you think it will work (midas and gt)i mean i've kept red devils w/t.buttikoferi in this same tank but i believe midas are more agressive what do you think???

hey did you ever get a chance to see if they were t.brichardi or bifs?

well i went and did it again guy's :blink: i bought an 8"t.buttikoferi ,paid 30 bucks and he got whooped :crazy: NOW!!i have a carpenti and a buttikoferi getting beat up.
at the moment my gt is in a 10g :crazy: :*) til i get home and figure out what to do. :sick:

all advice/input would be appreciate

Just curious...did you pull the GT out of the tank before placingh in the buttikoferi?

This may have helped....SOME!!

Only suggestion I can give is keep the GT in time out fo a period of 24 hours (if you have the tank space) then re-introduce him and see what happens...

Just for future consideration...It's always a good idea to pull an aggressive fish from the tank when introducing new tank mates.

This gives the newbie a chance to stake out a bit og ground for itself and also get comfortable with it's surroundings before any possible aggression.

Sorry to hear your having battles to contend with.

Keep us posted!!!!!

CM

"Just curious...did you pull the GT out of the tank before placing in the buttikoferi?"

no :*)

"Only suggestion I can give is keep the GT in time out fo a period of 24 hours (if you have the tank space) then re-introduce him and see what happens"

the only tank i had left was a 10g :blush: so that's where he is right now :sick:

i hate this!! i really hate this part of the hobby

can't we all just get along :-(

"Keep us posted!!!!!"

i will-thanx CM

17182383.jpg

17182381.jpg

17179689.jpg

16061158.jpg

right after the beatdown :eek:
17182380.jpg

Most reactions

Back