Tips To Get Clown Fish Out In The Open?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

betta fish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have a pair of clown fish that have been in my tank for around 2 years now but all they do is hide round the back the only time I ever see them is when they swim up for food and when I go down the side of the tank to look at them lol! they are in good health and regularly spawn on the teracotta pot I have in there but I would like to see them swim out more in the open as they are such lovely fish to look at, I have done some research and it seems they are guarding their pot and feel safe near it hence the need to be at the back all the time so was wondering if I move the pot near the front would they follow it? or any other tips to get them swimming around the tank more? as it only ever looks like I have one fish in there lol and that is my Sixline wrasse Eric that cruises around the tank all day and is a joy to watch ( p.s just incase you are wondering he doesn't bully them, they were in the tank first and stand their ground to him so he leaves them alone )

Clowns aren't known for being out and about like more active swimming fish. The behavior you're describing is rather common and you can't really get them to swim about like a wrasse or tang. You can try moving the pot, but personally I wouldn't do it just to try to get the fish out more. When altering a clown pair's territory, you risk upsetting the pairing (which should repair itself, but there can be some biting in the process) and you also have no guarantee that they'll move where you think they should. If you move the pot, it's entirely possible that they'd decide to pick the location over the object and not move. Or, they could go someplace equally hidden that has nothing to do with the location or pot. They might also move with the pot; no way to know in advance. 

You could get a dither fish to lure them out.  Clownfish pairs respond good to basslets, as they are fast enough to stay out of the reach of the clowns if any aggression spouted up.  The clowns seem to come out to check them out and chase them about.   Royal Gramma would be my go to choice!

Ah didn't see you had a wrasse, even if he is not bullying them, they may not be coming out because they know he will show aggression when they do.   

Thanks for the responses 
smile.png
they do occasionally come to the front probably looking for food and the wrasse leaves them alone so I don't think he is driving them there but yes another fish would be out of the question as he would hound it, I'm dithering on whether to move the pot, don't think I will as it doesn't really fit anywhere else in the tank and I don't want to touch my rock work, I was thinking they may host an artificial anemone placed in the front of the tank or is that a silly idea? 
laugh.png
 they have had real anemones in the past that they came out in the open to host but the nems never lasted very long so I won't be going down that route again!

They will host corals too, that is what most aquarists do as anemones require so much special care and attention and generally are a nuisance to keep.   Toadstools are pretty easy corals to keep and they adapt to accept the clownfish playing around on them after a week or so. Pom Pom Xenia is a bit harder to care for, but many have had success with those.  Torch corals are probably a good pick as well, although are quite aggressive so you have to place them carefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2T3FOM-ZQQ

Success! I managed to move the pot to the middle of the tank in quite a snug location in an alcove of the rock work and they have taken to it, initially when I moved the pot they did hang around in the original location so I gently ushered them towards the pot, they stayed for a while then went back to the old location but now they are back in the pot again 
smile.png
I'm hoping they stay for good, the female keeps having a look at the old location and then returning but the male seems to be staying put lol!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back