Tiny Organisms in Shrimp Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ada

Reaction score
I had detritus worms everywhere in my shrimp tank.
Yes I was overfeeding but most of them seem to be gone now.

Since that happaned I started observing the tank more closely and I noticed tiny white jumpy organisms.
Its impossible to take a good photo of them cause the camera wont focus and they move often.
They are either on the gravel or on the glass and would often swim across the water. They are about 1mm big. And they seem to be made up of 2 parts a head and tail.

What could it be??

The quickest way to get rid of small white worms on the glass is to do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a couple of weeks. The worms normally live in the gravel and feed off rotting organic matter. If the water quality deteriorates, or the gravel goes off, the worms leave the substrate and crawl on the glass.

By doing daily gravel cleans you clean the conditions up and the worms can go back into the substrate.

------------------------
The small white things flicking about in the glass are probably cyclops (copepods). The females look like a small white Y. The top part of the Y are egg sacs and the bottom part of the Y is the body.

Copepods are normally harmless and most small fish eat them.

If you really don't want them in the tank you can remove shrimp and add some copper. It will kill them. But personally I just leave them and in a month or so their numbers will drop.

If you have a fine mesh net, you can scoop them out and feed them to tetras and barbs.

Most reactions

trending

Back