Timeframe for growth?

On average, with healthy plants and a healthy tank, how long does it take for plants to take root and start feeling established once transferred from the store to the home aquarium?
Oh, there's no real answer to give. It depends on the kind of plant, light, nutrients and water parameters.

I figure as long as the plant is green and healthy then eventually you'll see signs of growth. I have a crypt that I almost gave up on. There really wasn't much melt. I only had to clip two leaves. But it seemed like it was taking forever to start growing those leaves back. It was just holding in place. But it was still alive. Everything looked fine. Then one day, I noticed a new leaf starting to develop. Sometimes you just have to wait. Patience is not my strong suit but it really is key in this hobby.

Hello again Big. A thought occurred to me. If you're really interested in a tank that will require minimal work, then you could be interested in a book by D. Crosby Johnson. The title is "Never Change Your Fish Water Again". It's an old theory that has to do with using specific house plants that don't require any type of soil. They'll live with the roots immersed in the tank water with the leaves above the water. Apparently, you feed the fish, the fish provide nitrogen from their waste and the plant roots remove the nitrogen. The only water you replace is what's lost to evaporation. You use distilled water, so there's no mineral build up to harm the fish. The trick is, you need to test the water frequently in the beginning, until you get enough plants into the system to remove all the dissolved fish waste. Could be interesting and fun.

10 Tanks
Thank you for that! I actually used to have the trendy betta vase with the lily plant on top. It worked out fine, but he didnā€™t ever seem happy.

This current tank is a bit off a train wreck, trying to keep plants alive, but Figgy is as happy as can be. So I guess thatā€™s whatā€™s important!
I donā€™t mind doing water changes on this tank, being that itā€™s only a 10 gallon. But it would be amazing to get to a point where they are less frequent than once a week.
I just see so many people that say they can do once a month or once every 3 months and their tank is established and manages itself with just top offs. That type of tank is definitely a goal!

Hello again Big. A thought occurred to me. If you're really interested in a tank that will require minimal work, then you could be interested in a book by D. Crosby Johnson. The title is "Never Change Your Fish Water Again". It's an old theory that has to do with using specific house plants that don't require any type of soil. They'll live with the roots immersed in the tank water with the leaves above the water. Apparently, you feed the fish, the fish provide nitrogen from their waste and the plant roots remove the nitrogen. The only water you replace is what's lost to evaporation. You use distilled water, so there's no mineral build up to harm the fish. The trick is, you need to test the water frequently in the beginning, until you get enough plants into the system to remove all the dissolved fish waste. Could be interesting and fun.

10 Tanks
I've been watching videos where people do that with pothos clippings.

Oh, there's no real answer to give. It depends on the kind of plant, light, nutrients and water parameters.
I do understand that it was a broad question. But as a new plant keeper, every day is an eternity, waiting to see some sort of signs that the plant is happy. Knowing that I need to be patient for 2, 3, or even 4 weeks or longer is helpful. Iā€™m hoping for results within a few days, but I realize thatā€™s not very feasible in a new track set up.

Just wanted to get a general rule of thumb, of sorts, on off I should give up on a plant if I donā€™t see improvement within a certain timeframe.
Iā€™ll ask for specifics at some point, Iā€™m sure.

I've been watching videos where people do that with pothos clippings.
If house plants, pothos in particular, isnā€™t harmful to sit in the top of the tank, I may have to try that. I have some that is currently unattended in a vase and doing ok. I wonder if it would thrive in this type of environment.

10 Tanks
Just to jump in quickly and jump out...
I mean, that sounds like what I'm trying to do with my thirty gallon. By making it into an aquaponic set up the roots of the plants will filter the water for the fish and deliver clean water back to the fish.

I figure as long as the plant is green and healthy then eventually you'll see signs of growth. I have a crypt that I almost gave up on. There really wasn't much melt. I only had to clip two leaves. But it seemed like it was taking forever to start growing those leaves back. It was just holding in place. But it was still alive. Everything looked fine. Then one day, I noticed a new leaf starting to develop. Sometimes you just have to wait. Patience is not my strong suit but it really is key in this hobby.
That is good to hear!
Iā€™m concerned for the plants that have shown die off. Iā€™ve removed leaves from some and whole plants of others where they were just falling apart.
I will be patient with the others and hope for the best!

I mean, that sounds like what I'm trying to do with my thirty gallon. By making it into an aquaponic set up the roots of the plants will filter the water for the fish and deliver clean water back to the fish.
Do you have a post about your tank?

If house plants, pothos in particular, isnā€™t harmful to sit in the top of the tank, I may have to try that. I have some that is currently unattended in a vase and doing ok. I wonder if it would thrive in this type of environment.
Big. For this type of system to work, you either need quite a few plants with small root systems or one or two very large plants with substantial root systems. One Pothos isn't going to impact the nitrogen level in even the smallest tank. In order to keep the water clean enough for fish, you need a much larger plants. Aglaonema or what's called Chinese Evergreen is the one to use.

10 Tanks

Word of warning. Pothos is toxic. What I learned from the video is after you clip them, you have to let the plant heal and start to develop in another container so that it doesn't leak toxins into your tank.
It looks like an interesting idea. I think I'd like to try it someday but I need to read up on it more.

xxEMO. You're right. The Chinese Evergreen will do just that. It just needs to be set up with the roots immersed in the tank water with the leaves above the water. The roots also require a constant source of oxygen mixed into the tank water. I'd suggest placing an air stone directly underneath the plant roots and run it with a larger air pump. The more oxygen to the roots, the healthier the plant and the more nitrogen it will remove from the tank water. Lighting is also important. The plant will need a light directly above it. A good sized LED will work or you can hang a small strip light above it.

10 Tanks

Word of warning. Pothos is toxic. What I learned from the video is after you clip them, you have to let the plant heal and start to develop in another container so that it doesn't leak toxins into your tank.
It looks like an interesting idea. I think I'd like to try it someday but I need to read up on it more.
Pothos is great for this once you let it heal. I was doing this in a smaller one gallon tank I got as a gift (I know, not enough for anything). I believe you can make it work with any of the plants that NASA says are good at purifying the air. I've done clippings of Pothos and snake plant and they thrived.

Most reactions

Back