Time To Start Buying "stuff" But What...?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Miles_hot

Fish Addict
Reaction score
OK, finally the tanks will turn up next week and it's time to start kitting up (I like this bit :))

The tanks will be:
main tank: 35"x20"x18" (lenght x depth front to back x height) - some planting, low tech. I expect it to be a sand substrate, possibly including something for the plants?
QT/Hospital: 9"x13"x13" - in storage most of the time

My hit list so far:
Main Tank
Filter - Eheim 2075
Heater - Hydor 300w
Lights - Arcadia 30" x2 + blue tube (25w) on a seperate controller for "moon light"
Analoge temps x2

QT
Filter - Fuval U2 (so that I can take media from the main filter)
Heater - Newatt 50w or something similar
No lights
Analoge temp x1

Shared kit:
Test Kit - API Master freshwater
Cleaning brushs for the filter
Magnetic algae wiper thing
Bluckets for water change
Syphone of some sort for water change
Net to catch fish
Tools for planting etc.

Is there anything else I need?
Do you have any suggestions for the syphon for water changes and do I need a gravel vac if I'm not going to have gravel?
Is there any reason to spend money on a digital temp gauage over an analogue one? I don't mind spending if it's useful...

Many thanks

Miles

Analogue temp(s)? Thermometers?

List if fine, but you probably want at least 3 nets: 1 for the quarantine tank, one small and one large for the main tank.

I find that it's useful to have 2+ buckets.

I also have a 2m airline for drip acclimatising/water changes for quarantine tank from main tank (I drain water from the quarantine, then from the main tank into quarantine (so the water parameters are the same), then top up main tank).

Also I use a hose from a vacuum or a filter hose to drain water during water changes.

I would also keep a 200w Newatt or Visitherm heater as a spare, just in case (second hand one is ok).

..and be very careful using those magnetic algae cleaners if you do decide to go with sand. One grain gets caught between them and it will scratch the glass on the inside of your tank.

Terry.

Terry - thanks for that; with two small children that would be something of a certainty!

KK - what do you mean by the vacumn - I assume you don't mean a wet and dry vacumn! :)

Thanks

Miles

[...]two small children that would be something of a certainty!
I know this has been said a 1000 times already, but I will say it again:make sure to keep all food and medication 100% out of reach of children until you deem them to be careful enough to not tip the whole tub of food in, and medication until they understand not too drink it or tip it in.
If you want the kids to feed the fish, the best option I can think of for younger ones is to prepare the food by putting it into small zip-lock bags, then teach them to feed only one bag per day.
Having said that, I doing the everyday care on the family aquarium, without supervision, by the time I was 8 or so.

KK - what do you mean by the vacumn - I assume you don't mean a wet and dry vacumn! :)
http://www.google.co.uk/images?q=gravel%20vacuum

No worries on the chemicals and food - both my wife and I are paranoid control freaks :) But thanks for the reminder - it never hurts to repeat the safety critical stuff :)

I see what you mean by the vacuum - so I still need one even if I've got sand if only to help with the water changes?

Miles

I see what you mean by the vacuum - so I still need one even if I've got sand if only to help with the water changes?

I don't actually use them at all, but some people here are quite determined that they are a compulsory piece of kit. I was mainly referring that you can use the tube from one to drain the water (or buy a dedicated bit of aquarium hose, like the stuff used for external filters).. syphoning via a tube or a dedicated syphon is the easiest way to get water out of the tank.

p.s. when some parents on here put fish food out of reach, their kids have put porridge or cereals in the tank instead! :crazy:

Most reactions

Back