Time for a new project _emersed plants!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Martyn87

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have been thinking about running this for a while. I have a very sorry looking 125l fluval roma in the garage that is crying out for some love. This tank has been broken down a while after i moved house as I started up a 325l in the house.

Looking for some tips, and guidance if any one has done anything similar before. The set up is as follows:
125l 3ft fluval Roma
eheim professional 3
No CO2
Light is a fluval quad T5 39w x4

Im looking to grow some bacopa, mosses, crypts, microsorium and anubias emersed. This will be open top with the light suspended above it. Question is what fish to supplement the tank with, especially considering the water volume might at best be half that of the tank. Im going to have a beach that gets higher diagnoly to the rear opposite corner and the plants will then rise over the top, in essence like and under cut bank, with a big mossy drift wood log forming the edge of the planted element. The plants will then be planted in the rear corner of the tank, but I will need a shelf to suspent them up and either place pots on or plant into?

Just wondering whether any one has experience with emersed growth. Did you plant in a raised substrate or use pots? I like the idea of pots as it allows me to remove the plant/re-pot when needed to in order to keep the tank going? What did you use in the pots or was it straight mirace grow compost?

I understand that humidity is key, so do I go open top with a spray bar or buy a clear perspex screen for the top?

I'll post a few pics of what im looking to achieve. I feel a new tank log is on the horizon.

Attachments

• 20200526_220400.jpg
    20200526_220400.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 58
Sounds interesting! Good luck :)

I have no personal experience with out of the water plants...

My LFS does use spray bars though. You can spray them with a small spray bottle a couple of times a day, if you don't want a spray bar.

I have no clue what to say about your pot question... @Colin_T should be able to help you, when he's on next. ;)

Just grow them in plant pots and put a polystyrene foam ring around the top inch of the pots so they float on the surface. Then you can have a full tank and the plants can grow out of the water.

Are you going for a paludarium type thing?

Brazil Turtle.
It's not a fish but they love beach on their tank to lay egg. So.... Idk :fish: :rofl:

Yes I’m definitely thinking of paludarium set up.

Cheers for the tips Colin, I wasn’t sure if I had to create like an elevated shelf somehow, but the floating ring is a good idea.

I’ll drop some picks in when I start the set up this weekend.

So here's the update, tank base is set up.
Going to have a carpet of c.parva that should grow down to the sandy area. I am going to have co2 reactor injecting as well but only enough to get the plants to grow steadily.

Dwarf hair grass is going to hopefully grow up to cover the cave entrances, which I'm planning to make by running a large driftwood log from the rock over to about the centre...ish of the rear of the tank. That should then give me enough room for my emersed area. Sub base was ada amazonian aquasoil with JBL volcano mineral base. Used this as it's quite a high substrate at the back and with it being very big I won't get any dead spots.

Got the plants, loads of crypts and some new specials I've never seen before so I'll post pics when they arrive. Also got some m.windelov and some other bits I'll show when planted.

Had a real issue with the old filter...somehow the o ring has disappeared! So plans were delayed whilst I'm waiting for a new one. When that's sorted I can reduce the water level and get the driftwood in. New dilema what fish to buy or do I just use it as a guppy grow out/breeding tank? Some kribensis would do well in there...

Attachments

• 15909152120617163634167629537876.jpg
    15909152120617163634167629537876.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
Got a nice algae bloom going on, driftwood logs are Just taking or Water but these will form the basis of the shelf area for me to plant behind. Then I need to get the filter Working, get the Moss and anubias planted then I'm good to go with dropping the water level and getting the emersed plants growing.

anyone know where is best to get a perspex Lid? I need to raise the humidity in the tank

Attachments

• 15909553766701864921031765044749.jpg
    15909553766701864921031765044749.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
Do they make plastic condensation trays the right size?

Good idea I’ll have a look online and see what I can find. That would probably be perfect though and it would help me elevate the light instead of having to hang it.

Hey all so this weeks update. It's starting to take shape after finally sorting the filter issue. An o ring had broke around the inlet. Wood has all sunk now potted some e.ozelot, c.costata, a.coffeefolia, a.hastifolia, bacopa, m.trident.

I'll pop the moss on the logs next week and I'll take some bucephalandra cuttings from the main tank for planting too.

So in terms of the potting I've used a normal plant pot with a liner, then added some slow release n p k fertiliser, then I used @Colin_T idea of the polystyrene ring that worked a treat. Cheers Colin.

Not keen at the moment about the right of the tank and the root there just doesn't feel right.

Any thoughts on the rest of the tank? I'm thinking of a few more emersed plants but open to suggestions

Attachments

• 15915134840727575957820260294990.jpg
    15915134840727575957820260294990.jpg
    629.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 15915135758543371424191008659178.jpg
    15915135758543371424191008659178.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back