Tiger knife

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

bshockstubb

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I saw a tiger striped clownknifefish that looked pretty cool...anyone know what its called/info?

Was it a tiger striped knife fish Gymnotus carapo or a clown knife fish with stripes? :unsure:

If it was the former (Gymnotus carapo) then it is a delicate, difficult to feed fish that grows to around 24 inches and is best kept in a species tank.

If the latter then it was probably a Royal knifefish (Chitala blanci) Which can grow to around 4 feet and is highly predatory, care is the same as that for a clown knife fish.

It still didn;t look like the royal, but more like a clown knife with stripes through out it's entire body....

Clown and Royal knife fish come in a large variety of colour morphs with varying patterns. If it had the shape of a clown knife then it is almost certainly one of the Chitala species and will grow to at least 2 feet and up to 4.

edit. It could be Chitala lopis

chitala-lopis-Baby1.JPG

Yea, it's possibly that. I saw it at walmart :crazy: :X and wished to "rescue" it and then sell it back to my LFS. Not only for the fishes sake but because my LFS is selling them at 50 bucks...possibly get in store credit and feed my fishes for a month/ ;)

bshockstubb said:
Yea, it's possibly that. I saw it at walmart :crazy: :X and wished to "rescue" it and then sell it back to my LFS. Not only for the fishes sake but because my LFS is selling them at 50 bucks...possibly get in store credit and feed my fishes for a month/ ;)
holy moly! $50!! i bought a clown knife for $30 last fri, and he is ~8 inches long. baby ones are $6 here. and my lfs gives store credit, but for what she pays for one from her supplier, not what she sells them for, so i doubt you would get like $50 credit. most stores get 50-150% markup.

yea, regular clowns are 20 bucks here...but that tiger one was 50. But any ways, its gone now...thanks for everything :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back