Tiger Barbs Vs Bosemmi Rainbows

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
6,879
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
GB
in my next tank ( 300 litre) im toyiong with a shoal of about 12 tiger barbs as ive always liked them. but on the other hand i have been told a shoal of bosemi rainbows looks amazing too. now would i be right in thinking that the rainbows being more peaceful would give me more of a varied choice of the fish i could put with them?
 
Tiger barbs have a reputation for being nippy, so if its a community tank I'd avoid them. Boesemani's certainly look spectacular, though I know nothing about them.
 
its going to be a community of fairly robust fish nothing too aggressive but fish that can hold their own kribs etc
 
Assuming there will be no fish that the barbs will bully, i'd say it's purely a matter of personal preference.
I currently keep both species (though not together) and there are a couple of comparisons i can think of that may make a difference to you: Generally the boesmani tend to stay a bit higher in the water column. Barbs are more all over the place but generally mid-water. Neither school as tightly as tetras, the barbs perhaps less so. Barbs are pretty well coloured when young and also grow/mature alot quicker. I had to wait over a year for my boesmani to start showing full colour. But they are worth the wait!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top