Tiger barb swimming weirdly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

lizard10

Reaction score
I just noticed today that my tiger barb in my 40 gallon low tech planted aquarium is swimming oddly anybody know what this is?

Last edited:
I just noticed today that my tiger barb in my 40 gallon low tech planted aquarium is swimming oddly anybody know what this is?
Possibly a swim bladder problem, swim bladder problems are due to swelling of internal organs. This puts pressure on the swim bladder. Could possibly be an infection or parasites. Or it could be trapped air, from feeding fish flakes, as when the fish takes the flake in he takes a large gulp of air too.

It's probably from ingesting too much air when feeding.

If you feed dry floating foods like flake, stop feeding that for a couple of days and use frozen (but defrosted) or live food for a bit and see if it fixes the problem.

------------------------
Your black angelfish looks like it has slightly clamped fins. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

It's probably from ingesting too much air when feeding.

If you feed dry floating foods like flake, stop feeding that for a couple of days and use frozen (but defrosted) or live food for a bit and see if it fixes the problem.

------------------------
Your black angelfish looks like it has slightly clamped fins. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter if it hasn't been done in the last 2 weeks. Wash filter materials in a bucket of tank water.

I thought his fins were just beaten up but ok. And i do use floating food but it only floats if you drop it on the water and i put it under water and it sink but the problem is Iā€™m leaving in 3 days and Iā€™m gonna have to use a auto feeder. Also the german blue rams bullied the angelfish at one point.

If you are going on holiday for a week or two, just feed them more often before you go and they can live on fat reserves while you're away. Do daily water changes and gravel cleans when feeding more to keep the tank clean.

If you are going away for more than 2 weeks, measure out some food into small containers and get someone to feed one container to the fish, twice a week. Each container should have one portion of food that you would normally use.

If you are going on holiday for a week or two, just feed them more often before you go and they can live on fat reserves while you're away. Do daily water changes and gravel cleans when feeding more to keep the tank clean.

If you are going away for more than 2 weeks, measure out some food into small containers and get someone to feed one container to the fish, twice a week. Each container should have one portion of food that you would normally use.

Some people are coming once or twice a week probably just once a week and we are going away for 4 weeks Iā€™ve got a auto feeder but that drops the flakes on top of the water but it doesnā€™t make them sink. And my dad bought the auto feeder and he may be mad if i donā€™t use it.

If you have someone coming in once a week, get them to feed the fish one portion of food each week.

In my experience, holiday feeders and automatic feeders overfeed tanks and cause problems. If you use the auto feeder, set it so it only feeds once a day and make it only put a very small amount of food in. You should also start using the auto feeder now so you can monitor it and make sure it isn't putting too much food in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back