This time betta ate all fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aniket

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I bred him 4th time and out of 4 he ate 2 spawn. Im unable to understand on which situation he ate all fry. This time i conditioned him for 2 weeks fed 3 times a day. And i fed both of them when i out them in breeding tank with separator until female become ready to spawn. But in 2 days he made good bubble nest but they made lot of waste. I stopped feeding them.Then they mate n i removed female. He was taking care of eggs upto 2 days and then he started eating fry. Some fry fallen on base and he ate them all. What could be the reason he ate all fry?
There were no any disturbance.

The times I had that happen to me I finally figured out that the water was too deep. I think they get frustrated having to retrieve fallen eggs and fry that aren't quite free swimming off the bottom. When the water is about Four inches deep they can just sort of turn and grab them rather than chase. Hope this helps.

Did you feed the adult while he was looking after the babies?

If the water is more than 8-10 inches deep (high), reduce it a bit.

If he does it again, take him out before they hatch.

The times I had that happen to me I finally figured out that the water was too deep. I think they get frustrated having to retrieve fallen eggs and fry that aren't quite free swimming off the bottom. When the water is about Four inches deep they can just sort of turn and grab them rather than chase. Hope this helps.
Water level was shallow

Did you feed the adult while he was looking after the babies?

If the water is more than 8-10 inches deep (high), reduce it a bit.

If he does it again, take him out before they hatch.
No i dont feed male when fry are there. Because when i bred him first time i fed him when fry were present and he ate all fry. So i feed male when i take him out from spawning tank.

If he is hungry he will eat the fry. You should feed him something that doesn't look like baby fish, and feed him at the opposite end of the tank to where the bubblenest is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back