This is the stuff that annoys me about this hobby

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
That is like keeping dinner plates in a shoebox.

You can bet your life that the owner saw something similar on TV...Tanked etc...and decided to recreate it in their small room.

Those poor fish, that is so cruel.

Are you able to rescue them @itiwhetu or is that not feasible?

Those Cory that are in there have nothing to snuffle....that is the height of cruelty for all the fish. The description seems to imply the owner has more than this one aquarium...goodness knows why he/she are keeping these stunning, majestic fish in such horrible conditions

Makes my blood boil when I see things like this. It's part of the reason why I end up with neighbourhood fish cos they are either being kept in the wrong situation or they were threatened with being flushed.

There is absolutely no need for this, none whatsoever.

I'd like to say we can educate people to stop such things, but experience says only a minority do these things from lack of knowledge. Most do it because it feels good to them, and there is no argument that will change their view. Too much believing they're right, and not enough questioning if they are.

It needs to start with responsible sellers. My local fish shop refuses a lot of sales because just talking to the customers they don't know what they are doing. 'had the tank running for two days' kind of thing. owning any pet is a privilege, not a right. Those who can't prove they have the knowledge and means to look after them need to be refused.
Sadly there are lots of shops that'll sell to anyone no questions asked.

Jeez... Three discus in such a small tank.
In the description it just sounds like he doesn't know too much. Like this:
"The filter has many awesome things in it making this tank one of my healthiest."
What is this "awesome stuff" he speaks of and the fact he thinks it's one of his "healthiest" tanks shows how bad of a fish keeper he is...
Very sad

It needs to start with responsible sellers. My local fish shop refuses a lot of sales because just talking to the customers they don't know what they are doing. 'had the tank running for two days' kind of thing. owning any pet is a privilege, not a right. Those who can't prove they have the knowledge and means to look after them need to be refused.
Sadly there are lots of shops that'll sell to anyone no questions asked.
Judging is easy, and I do it all the time. But if you run a small shop with one of the corporate giant Pet chains charging in, you are in a bind. Turn away too many customers, even for the right reasons, and you're dead. I've watched this hobby go from a situation where dozens of small shops run on a "make a decent living" basis by often knowledgeable owners have been crushed by well financed mega-chains.
Behaving like the chains isn't the way to go, but too many principles leave you applying for a job at Petwhatever.

Now, we answer by saying a well informed shop will survive because it offers knowledge. This would be fine if we saw a trend toward valuing knowledge, but what reality says is there's a trend to cheap.

I recently moved from a city of 3 million. Because of language issues, the large English speaking chains didn't want to translate their stuff, so they stuck to the English provinces around. The better shops are still in trouble though, as the conservatism of our hobby gives them no incentive to be different. If they offer something cool, it doesn't sell. You can argue I'm a little too into this hobby, but I've always been curious about fish. I find that curiosity is out of fashion right now. People don't have time to be curious?

A couple of new stores have done well there. One sells only mbuna Cichlids, and has a strong following, but the one with a focus on aquascapes went bankrupt. A new one doing well has a neat angle - it only sells wild caught fish from sustainable local fisheries. The fish are pretty healthy compared to farmed stock, but cost more.

So I'll throw your valid point about stores back your way. Those who have bothered to learn need to support local stores. Online buying is only for things you can't get locally. You go cheap, you get the attitude toward living things that goes with it - disposable life.

If you live 300 km from a decent store, yeah, you're stuck.

Saw this posted on the Tropical Fish Keepers NZ Facebook page. They got an absolute grilling from everyone and seems they just chose to remove the post and chuck it on TM rather than opening their eyes to what they were doing :mad:

Last edited:
Saw this posted on the Tropical Fish Keepers NZ Facebook page. They got an absolute grilling from everyone and seems they just chose to remove the post and chuck it on TM instead rather than opening their eyes to what they were doing :mad:
Now they have gone international, I wonder if they come on here.

Apologies, the dog got onto the laptop :blink:

As I was saying .... surely anyone who botheres to go to forums to learn about better fishkeeping wouldn't be naive enough to create or try and sell that sort of discus/cory set up...

But they sure need to get their butt onto this forum, for the sake of their poor fish!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back