This Is Simply Awesome

For the GBR's, if your not already I'd advise twice weekly water changes - I've noticed with mine that if I do any less than that they become stressed. That may be because my waters alot harder than its generally recommended to keep them in, but the tank as a whole seem alot happier since I went from weekly to twice weekly changes.

This is good advice, the only thing i am woried about at the moment is the bubblenest the Gourami has built. If i do a water change will this affect things?
 
Oki changed the water earlier, and then the bully started his antics again so i sent him to fishy jail for a few hours. When i let him out though, the female kept swimming upto him and really thrashing her tail as if she was asking for a booty call or something. Problem is, i think the bubblenest has gone as there was too much comotion when i was filling the tank back up.
 
OMG !!!! He was taking it in turn to wrap himself around the each of the female and now there has been a little explosion and there are loads of tiny eggs floating around. The lad is doing a great job and collecting them..........this is sooo exciting !!
 
Well i have been curiosly watching these contortionists getting the jiggy down and thought i would try and capture some of the moment for the fmaily scrapbook and thought i would share. I appologise for the quality of the images but they are from my phone and i had to keep the lighting down as much as possible. I know what its like to have people walk in on your and its not nice.

bubblenest.jpg


breeding1.jpg


breeding2.jpg


breeding3.jpg


spectators.jpg


I have now got to stay awake until they are done so i can separate the females, all i have is a net for now but will purchase another tank tomorrow and try and get that prepared as soon as possible but i know i am clutching at straws but i want to at least die trying.

Will keep you updated :)
 
I have kept the female in a breeding net away from the eggs. They should be ready to hatch tonight and then in 3 days they should be free swimming (presuming there are any that make it) in which case i need to remove the male too. I am unable to get another tank at the moment after looking carefully at my finances, but i will do my best to move the fry to the breeding net as soon as i can confirm they are in the wiggly stage.

Is this the right thing to do under the situation.
 
Its nice to see that since the breeding pair have done to deed, the tank seems a lot more peaceful with daddy floating nicely under the nest and keeping an eye on the little chaps.

They should be hatching any second now :)
 
In theory the eggs should have natched by now and tomorrow they should be ready to swim freely. I have still kept the female apart from the others and the male is still gaurding the nest. Speaking of the nest, there does not seem to be many bubbles anymore and i cannot see anything that would suggest that there are fry in there, although i am aware that they are very small.

I think it might be a phantom pregnancy but the male is still protecting something so will wait a little longer. I need to get some feed tomorrow just in case i think.
 
Ok this is getting out of hand now, i have on female in a breeding net to keep her away from her eggs, but now the male is breeding with the other female in the tank. When will it stop, lol
 
Well he is a bloke - do you ever stop?? Males are males in every species, in all walks of life :)

Any news on the eggs yet?
 
Well he is a bloke - do you ever stop?? Males are males in every species, in all walks of life :)

Any news on the eggs yet?

Ok previous male died due to exhaustion. I replaced him 4 days ago and he has already made a new bubblenest, bigger than the previous one. Mated and fertilised the eggs.

I have just swapped the filters over and noticed tiny black things darting in circles on the surface. On closer inspection these appear to be Gouramifry. Yey! There were a few trappen in a leaf so i was able to take a good look but my god they are small.

I have carefully transferred the bubblenest to a breeding box and fed them crushed flake.

Will be interested to see if they survive.
 
Ok, the update so far:

Fry are doing well, there are quite a lot of them swimming around in the breeding net but i am concerned they are not feeding, although they are still alive after a week.

The Gourami has bred again and the eggs of the second lot have hatched but i have left them in the bubblenest and not transfered them yet. I want to give these little fellas the best possible start so am off to buy a small tank for them to transfer them too.

Is it better to have the small tank, with the bare minimum. Sponge filter, heater, no substrate a little floating plants to hide in?

Does this sound about right? Is there anything i need to know at this stage.

Cycling....I am going to fill the tank with water from my existing established tank but if i am using a sponge filter, how do i cycle it ? and if i am only putting my fry in there is the cycle really that important in the early stages as they will not be producing any waste as such and they will be fed small amounts of Liquifry until such a time that i can establish my own cultures, if you know what i mean.

Any help at this point greatly appreciated.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top