THIS is how you keep Discus happy,healthy, and for years.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
You don't like the look? Well,count on your Discus lives being measured in months..down to days really.
You could probably drink that water in the vid as its fine filtered and UV bulb kept pathogen free. Think of all the money you can save with just some low wattage LED.

Personally keeping a fish in a bare tank for years seems like torture to me.

However this looks a lot like a breeding setup so bare tanks would make some sense.

My take is that Discus thrive this way. But,for fish that spectacular a home aquarium in a dark room could to be made more like a fish home with dramatic low lighting,or low level backlighting with LED's
Or even make behind the tank a diorama box. Seeing healthy colorful fish for 8-10 years would make it fun, worthwhile.

No "natural" is unnatural for Discus in a home aquarium. Why I posted the vid because youtube's vids of large happy Discus in a natural aquarium are basically fakes. They set up a big new tank,add the plants and sand..put the fish in. They never tell you how fast the fish stopped eating,turned dark and sunken. THAT is never updated or if they do..its probably not the same fish from the year before.

No "natural" is unnatural for Discus in a home aquarium. Why I posted the vid because youtube's vids of large happy Discus in a natural aquarium are basically fakes. They set up a big new tank,add the plants and sand..put the fish in. They never tell you how fast the fish stopped eating,turned dark and sunken. THAT is never updated or if they do..its probably not the same fish from the year before.
Except that I personally know people that have kept discuss in planted natural aquariums for years with no problems.
how
wouldn't a more natural breeding setup make the fish happier and more efficient breeders?
Depends on the fish and the eggs/fry. Sometimes you need to be able to see exactly what is going on to be able to separate eggs/fry when needed. Often you need pristine water quality which is easier in a bare tank.

I have never done any breeding on a large scale but done a bit on smaller scales (mostly tetras and smaller cave/shell dwelling cichlids). A lot of tetras I would move to a bare tank (generally with spawning mops) to spawn then move back to normal tanks after. Its a lot easier to separate fry when you don't have a bunch of stuff they can hide in and you don't have to worry about organics mwssing your water chemistry. Even still though I preferred to at least keep some floating/potted plants maybe some wood or other cover that was easy to remove.

I haven't bred discuss so not sure how much of an advantage a bare tank would be there.

I salute Discus in a natural aquarium for years, keepers. But even the best- have seen a quick downfall of those fish in Co2,community tanks. It's the usual outcome. I've had a few people tell me otherwise and posted photos of large Discus,usually in the 100 gallon tank range with four to six happy Discus.
But,I've also talked to fish experts..veterinarians and people with degrees in biology and the Discus would come down eventually with something that caused their demise. I myself have only seen the best "thick" bodied and pancake round ( one pair per tank) Discus in breeder tanks. True. One had a few large (2") Cardinals..but no substrate or live plants and all the fish seemed very calm in the low light.
I also would highly recommend UV for Discus tanks. Might be the game changer.

I would personally use UV on any tank with sensitive fish.

Can't comment much more on the keeping of Discus. I have no personal experience and not up to date on the recent research/knowledge. Was interesting hearing your point of view however. It goes against a lot of my personal fishkeeping "ethics" but that doesn't mean that it's not correct. Will be something interesting to look into on a quite afternoon.

My understanding is that discus like minimal Decor. Soil, perhaps a few small plants and an Anubis on driftwood for a large discus tank.

I think we tend to project on to the fish what we think is best. I've learned the hard way with breeder Discus I raised to Lion Headed Oranda Goldfish plus other fish species that have a low tolerance for my imagination if the water quality isnt near perfect.
I mean,I think a good tanin making piece of iron wood or the like and one great breeding pair of Discus in a 55-100 gallon tank with some hollywood mood look lighting and I could enjoy that. Probably would use an automatic water changing device also. You really get out of these fish what you put in.

You don't like the look? Well,count on your Discus lives being measured in months..down to days really.
You could probably drink that water in the vid as its fine filtered and UV bulb kept pathogen free. Think of all the money you can save with just some low wattage LED.
If you want to grow them to their genetic potential definitely bare bottom tank a rigorous cleaning and feeding schedule. They grow fine in community tanks though and can get just as meaty if you have a good water changing schedule . UV is a hidden gem but there is always arguments as the flow rate has to be very slow to be effective for the nasties, it’s great for free flowing algae though. I had a power cut and when everything came back on I didn’t realise the UV plug was still tripped, after a few days grass algae !!!!
All in all I think any fish looks better in a community environment with a few plants and wood. I have my maintenance down to 2.5-3hrs a week for an over 200 imperial gallon tank and my the discus are doing well.

You just have to modify your idea of aquarium looks to keep Discus. A great pair in an aquarium with a black background,an interesting piece of wood and that aquarium being larger enough for the pair to go back and forth. I would say 100 gallons for a mated pair is worth it.
Discus and sand bottoms and intense lighting and plants that have algae and what else all over the leaves..that's just pathogen heaven for Discus diseases.
Now,I have had people say "5 years" or more in Ammano tanks and Discus. But I would tell people the odds are not in the average Discus keeper side if you surround those sensitive fish with clutter or fish that can infect the breeders.

You just have to modify your idea of aquarium looks to keep Discus. A great pair in an aquarium with a black background,an interesting piece of wood and that aquarium being larger enough for the pair to go back and forth. I would say 100 gallons for a mated pair is worth it.
Discus and sand bottoms and intense lighting and plants that have algae and what else all over the leaves..that's just pathogen heaven for Discus diseases.
Now,I have had people say "5 years" or more in Ammano tanks and Discus. But I would tell people the odds are not in the average Discus keeper side if you surround those sensitive fish with clutter or fish that can infect the breeders.
There’s a lot of variables at play and to keep plants, discus as well as community fish in the same tank you have to have your wits about you. An effective routine is essential. Have medication on hand and perhaps a worming schedule ( some people frown on it but I adopt it and it’s stopped the odd one or two going off their food due to worms ). They have sensitive immune systems, even being domestic bred discus they are a tad more sensitive than most. Taking into consideration a decent breeder sells 7’’ strains from £180-£400 it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth if you screw up or slack.
Trust me I know that feeling as I nearly killed the entire inhabitants of my tank due a seachem product Regen procedure. I was up for 36hrs sorting the chaos out I felt awful.

I don't like the look of Discus regardless, but even if I did... what's the point in keeping just a bare empty tank like that? People love to rag on hybrids and GMO fish like fancy goldfish, but then weak fish like Discus, Arowana, and Electric Blue Jack Dempsey that die at the drop of a hat and can't even deal with normal tank pathogens are never included as problematic.

I kept my Disus in planted aquariums. Not an issue. I feel sorry for any fish that is kept in a bare tank. The bare tank thing is one of the reasons I became interested in community spawning. And is the reason I moved away from breeding fish on any large commercial scale. I only have Black and White photos but you will get the idea.
158.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Back